Ubuntu through EFI - no GRUB?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by NOTNlCE, Feb 7, 2014.

1. NOTNlCE macrumors 6502a

NOTNlCE

Hello all,
    I have both an 08 Mac Pro and an 09 MacBook Pro, and I would love to have a real Ubuntu installation on both of them, however, I want to know if there is a way to do it without using GRUB. On the Mac Pro, I would designate an entire drive to it, but on the MacBook it would have to be a dual boot of my SSD. I've previously done this on my MacBook using rEFIt, and was not pleased with the results. I've recently installed Windows 8 through EFI on my Mac Pro, and I'm just wondering if there's a way to do this without using rEFIt or the GRUB bootloader. My Mac Pro has a GTX 660 in it, not flashed, so I don't have a boot screen, which is why I don't want to use rEFIt.

Has anyone tried this and/or succeeded? I'm just getting sick of running Linux in a VM, and would love to make full use of my hardware when working.
    Thanks!
    -N

EDIT: I have found this article - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFIBooting

It mentions using rEFIt, though I would really much rather have my system be able to function the way it does with my Windows install - always default OS X as the startup disk, and allowing me to Option+Boot into Linux. Is this possible through this method?

2. d4m1r macrumors regular

d4m1r

While I've never tried (or heard of anyone) removing everything and installing JUST Ubuntu on a Mac Book, I can't think of anything that would prevent you from being able to do so....

What didn't you like about reFIT? Its the perfect tool in my mind for the job and in fact, maybe the only....

FYI, to avoid any issues I'd highly recommend ALWAYS installing Ubuntu in BIOS mode and not UEFI...