Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I can't see this being anything but a niche product - at best. I think Ubuntu is very late to the game. So to answer your question, no, I'll not be installing it.

lighthouse_man

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
I can't see this being anything but a niche product - at best. I think Ubuntu is very late to the game.

Probably in the beginning. That's why I prefer to dual boot than to go all the way Ubuntu. But late? I'm not sure. I think a lot of Ubuntu users will jump on it. I myself dabble sometimes with Ubuntu and find this very interesting.

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
I have a Nexus 7 that's been sitting idle for months. Been holding on to it to turn into an Ubuntu device when it became available. I don't have much time to mess around with these things lately, so not sure when I'll get to it. It would be good to hear anyone else's experiences with it.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Ubuntu touch OS is set for release today. Anyone planning to install it? I'm considering, once I get it figured out, to dual boot Android and Ubuntu on my Nexus 7.

I will most definitely be downloading it from Canonical. I have been using the build from XDA on and off since it debuted. A slow and bumpy road to be sure, but this OS has a lot of potential. Will it ever be as big as iOS or Android? Don't know, but you gotta start somewhere.

I just hope the integration between mobile and desktop will be as fluid and seamless as they have been touting. Could be a killer feature!

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I'm guessing no one else loaded Ubuntu Touch on their Nexus 4?

I can confirm it works, it is very smooth, looks great, but to many things are still missing, like a friggin apps store! What you get with the install is pretty much it. Way to many basic apps missing.
Hopefully, developers will either port or write apps for Ubuntu, because this could be a really kick4ss OS on any flagship Android phone. But right now, it is still not ready for primetime. If you want what boils down to turning your phone into a feature phone with pretty Ubuntu homescreens, by all means download and gave fun. Otherwise, I recommend waiting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.