Ubuntu/VirtualBox Resolution Issues?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by prmccarron, Oct 15, 2010.

1. prmccarron macrumors regular

prmccarron

Hi, I've been trying to install Ubuntu 10.10 on VirtualBox. However, when I try, even in full screen, it only shows a part of the screen. I know how to change the res if I could access the menu, but I can't. Can someone help? BTW I can't finish the installation until res is better so the set up window is still in the middle.

2. mac2x macrumors 65816

I just finished doing this actually, and ran into no issues (I used 10.10 x64 FWIW). In fact, I'm posting this from Ubuntu. I saw a small screen; you can't go true fullscreen until you install the guest additions.

3. prmccarron thread starter macrumors regular

prmccarron

Heh, sorry, I'm new to this. How do you install guest additions?

4. mac2x macrumors 65816

The ISO for the guest additions is in the VirtualBox application package (/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS). I just copied it to my desktop, and then mounted it to the VM in the VirtualBox interface. Then when you start the VM, it is on the desktop ready for use.

You want to open the ISO and select the .run file that applies to your system, because there is one for 32 bit and one for 64 bit. This .run can be dragged directly into the terminal and then you simply press enter. I also logged in as root:

Code:
    sudo -i
    <password>
    [edit] You may need to restart the VM for this to take effect.

5. prmccarron thread starter macrumors regular

prmccarron

Thanks so much!