Ubuntu/Windows XP BootCamp Partition gone wrong - HELP!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by manondave, Jul 16, 2010.

1. manondave macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Ok...so major screw up on my part, and I'd really appreciate your help!

I originally partitioned my MacBook using BootCamp and installed Windows XP on which I did a lot of my work (because the apps I used were only built for Windows). I then discovered Ubuntu at work and decided to install it using some roundabout method involving reFIT. It all worked fine, but I soon realised I didn't want Ubuntu anymore so I deleted the partition (of the partition) and thought nothing more of it. I then restarted my machine into BootCamp and selected the Windows partition to boot into.....

Now, all I see is GRUB Rescue prompt. I guess what has happened is that GRUB (Ubuntu boot loader) has somehow remained on that partition and is looking for the Ubuntu OS, but I only have Windows on that partition. Luckily, i have my Windows partition mounted on my OSX desktop so i've been able to pull important files from it, but I really need to get into Windows to access my work applications.:confused:

I've read in places that it is possible to uninstall GRUB using some commands, but none of these take into consideration that there might be other things on that partition that need to remain on there (i.e. Windows!).

Does ANYBODY know how to remove GRUB from the BootCamp partition without harming my Windows install??? PLEEEAAAASSEE? :(

I'd really appreciate your help on this and a big thank you in advance!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

First. BACK EVERYTHING UP. Twice.

Most likely something as simple a FIXMBR when booted to the Windows XP recovery console will do the trick, but please make sure you have a way back to this point.

There is a non-insignificant risk you can lose all data on both partitions when messing with the partition table.

B

3. manondave thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a million balamw!

The problem seems to be that I can't actually boot the Windows recovery console because that partition keeps going straight into GRUB-rescue. is there any way I can bypass GRUB, or even remove it from within OSX...or GRUB itself?

Many thanks for your help with this.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Recovery Console is accessed by booting from the XP install CD. That should still work. No?

EDIT: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ss/rconsole.htm

If you can find a copy of the Windows XP MBR contents itself you can just use dd from Terminal in OS X to put it back.

A kind of related thread is here: http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1278177.html

You would need your own copy of the file he calls MBR.WIN

B