Ubuntu?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mac-Addict, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Hey I was wondering is it possible to get Ubuntu on my MBP? Like would you use bootcamp or have to get parallels?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. Mac-Addict thread starter macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Ok but on Apples website it only says about windows...

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

There's no special Apple magic that prevents you from installing any other i386 or x86-64 operating system on the partition Boot Camp makes.

The worst thing you'll have to deal with is the mounting point for your volume and that has already been dealt with here.

~desu

5. Mac-Addict thread starter macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

I've downloaded Ubuntu but now what.. Burn all the files to a cd or dvd?

6. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

You may be trying to do something a bit too advanced... If you screw up, you could kill your whole install (Mac OS, too), requiring an Erase and Install.

7. Mac-Addict thread starter macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Eh worth the risk all I have thats worth anything is my music collection

8. Mac-Addict thread starter macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

What I really dont get how to do this.. do I have to burn all the stuff I downloaded from the ubuntu website onto a DVD and then put it in when bootcamp asks me for the drivers dvd?

9. 5683565 Suspended

Never done it on Boot Camp before, (only on PPC ages ago)...

But I assume that you use Boot Camp to create your partition, burn a dvd in Mac OS X of Ubantu, put her in (or should I say leave her in), boot using the Linux disk, then use the graphical installer to install linux onto the new partition created in BC. It will obviously need to reformat it too, so make sure you only select the blank partition.

There are probably a few more p.i.a. things left to do, I imagine installing to the partition isn't quite as easy as I made it sound for example. I remember having endless driver problems, but those are probably all resolved by now.

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

burn it to a CD, put into CD drive, restart mac, hold C to boot from disk.

first go into ubuntu and check to see if all your hardwares are supported, only think about installing it after u are sure everything is fine.

read here for more if u want to install it with triple boot option
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=198453

of course, using VM is another way that might be safe, but linux will run slow. and the 3D effects might not be able to run in VM due to limited access of graphic card.

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Burn the .iso file to a CD or DVD using Disk Utility found in /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility

You will not need to use the Boot Camp Driver CD as those are drivers for Windows only.

You can boot off of the disc as a Live CD/DVD just to try it out before you have to even install it.

12. Mac-Addict thread starter macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Ok I've got the cd its all burnt but when I restart and hold down the c button the disk spins and then it just boots into OS X

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Did you burn it using Disk Utility?

Attached Files:

• disc.png
      disc.png
      File size:
      16.8 KB
      Views:
  14. Mac-Addict thread starter macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Do u mean with finder? and if u do mean that then yes. I renamed the disk ubuntu would that make any difference?

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I think you should read post #11 again.

/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility

Then...

Images -> Burn

16. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

it has to be burned as a image, not a data file.
    if u use the free app. simplyburns, there is an option right here
    [​IMG]

17. Mac-Addict thread starter macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Ok I'm sorry for about not fully reading your post I just saw burn .iso so I burn't it in finder. I'm burning it in disk utility now.

18. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It should be a bootable disc now once its burnt. Just follow the previous instructions posted here for booting off of a CD/DVD.

19. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Once you boot and try it out, if you do decide you want to install it then follow the steps for 7.04 in this guide. I actually just used it today to install 7.04 on my MacBook via boot camp. I also have 7.04 running on my iMac in VMware Fusion. On the MacBook I've got Beryl installed with all the fancy window effects -- it's very cool!

20. Mac-Addict thread starter macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Everytime I boot I get a error message saying failed to start X server (graphical interface) its likely not set up correctly.

21. 5683565 Suspended

Seriously, if you couldn't figure out how to install Linux on your own then I doubt you'll be able to really take advantage of it once installed. It's a complex OS.

Then again, if you just want to 'check it out' then go right ahead. You'll probably stop using it after a week...

I'm not trying to rip on you or anything, I mean hell, I had a bit of difficulty and eventually got bored of it ages ago... Now I just use OSX and Vista. Even with the help of CodeWeavers and WINE, running PC apps is not cool.

My two cents.

22. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

Yeah, I got the same message. I never got that message when running 6.10 on the MacBook Pro. I'll look into it and post back here in a bit.

Edit: OK, it seems that the newest version of ubuntu doesn't play well with newer ATi cards.
    6.10 will work well on the MacBook.

23. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Surprisingly enough I got the same message running the PowerPC binary of Ubuntu 7.04. I was lucky enough to have some spare video cards for my Power Mac G4s. The Live CD worked just fine using a Rage 128 Pro and a Radeon 9800. It would never work with the Radeon 7000. I finally got around to installed Ubuntu but I haven't been able to get past the log in screen and rather loud startup theme.

I was lucky that I could actually change my video hardware.

~desu

24. AutumnSkyline macrumors regular

AutumnSkyline

Would you use the same Guide to install on the iMac minus the code parts w/f6??

25. ChrisA macrumors G4

You also have to ask yourself what Linux can do that Mac OS X can't. The Mac can run the same software as Linux. So if there is some Linux software you are after chances are you can get it to work under Mac OS. After all Mac OSX is UNIX.

I've been a Linux user from Kernel version 0.95 and run Linux full time at work for software development and keep a Linux server here at home. My use for Linux at home is that it runs on Generic hardware and so I can have a very fast machine or something that Apple just does not make (like an $900 tower) But if there is something you just want to try out on Linux try it on the Mac.

Go get a copy of VMware or Parallels. This works out much better for just trying out install disks and the like.