"uc" would like to use your current location

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tex-Twil, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hello,
    I made a clean install of Snow Leopard and now I'm slowly installing all my apps. I had Undercover running on Leopard and I installed it again. After the reboot, a pop up asked my the same question as an iPhone asks:

How can a process on a UMBP know a current location ?

Thanks,
    Tex

Attached Files:

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It's probably trying to use the same method that the non-GPS iPhones use but based only off wifi routers.

3. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

So would this be a new feature in SL that an app can use ?

4. Jasoco macrumors 6502

Yes. It is one of the many touted features of Snow Leopard. "Core Location" will let your computer change its clock and location automatically based on where you are, and if you cross timezones it will do it too. CL is available to any app that wants to use it.

It uses routers and your IP from the internet to determine where you are, or close to it.

It thinks I'm in Lansdale, PA, while I'm actually in Doylestown, but it's still closer than the location I used to use manually, Philadelphia.

5. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

ok, cool feature for developers. Is there a place in SL where I can "test" the location which was found ?

6. TranceNW macrumors regular

Click your clock in the top right, click preferences, time zone, check "set time zone automatically" and it should show you your location.