UDID Registration Query

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Pinksteady, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

Apologies if this has been answered before (I'm sure someone must have asked it), but haven't seen anything conclusive with a search.

I am interested in registering on an Apple Developer Program, partly as I'm interested in programming for a Mac, but mainly so I can download Lion!

1. Is the Lion developer preview stable enough to be used as a primary OS for a non-intensive user?

2. Are 3rd party UDID registration websites such as imodzone.com an accepted method of circumventing Apple's Developer Program? If I register with them, is there a chance Apple could 'blacklist' me or are there any other potential implications? I'm not asking for assistance doing this, just for an understanding of where these services sit in the community.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210

1) This software is under NDA. I don't know how far you can go in discussing it's stability/etc. without breaking it, but I would opt for saying nothing at all if I had access to this software.

2) Pirating software, even beta software, or software that is free with registration/agreeing to a license is pirating software. It is unlikely you will be caught, but that doesn't make it "right" and if you request here for software that is under NDA you won't get it. If you steal most software you are unlikely to be caught and banned from any activity or prosecuted, but there's always a chance, and it's still wrong.

There are people that disagree with 2) (and probably those that disagree with 1), too), but it really comes down to whether you agree with licensing, NDAs, etc. A lot of us here make a living writing software, so we do agree with these things and abide by them, and encourage others to do so, too.

From your post this doesn't sound like you really want to program for the Mac and make sure your software will work on the next release of the OS, it sounds like you really want pre-release software. If you don't have a problem with the potential moral or legal ramifications of surreptitiously acquiring this you are welcome to do so but there are potential consequences.

-Lee

3. Pinksteady thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

Thanks. I hadn't considered that discussing stability could impact the NDA, fair point.