Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Just curious... I know it's against the terms of your developer membership to sell slots but why does MR ban the talk/requesting/giving/selling of UDID slots? I referenced this thread but didn't find any explanation. :apple:

outphase

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
Because MacRumors did not want to facilitate such breaches of the developer agreement. They were at WWDC for the first time this year. Why ruin it so early?

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Because MacRumors did not want to facilitate such breaches of the developer agreement. They were at WWDC for the first time this year. Why ruin it so early?

Well put. Better to not be associated

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
Pretty dumb idea, people should be able to do whatever the hell they want with their devices its their responsability

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Pretty dumb idea, people should be able to do whatever the hell they want with their devices its their responsability

One might also say: people should be able to do whatever the hell they want with their website/forums, it's their responsibility. This is arn's site; it's arn's call. He says "No".

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park

No one is stopping people from doing whatever the hell they want with their devices. They just aren't going to use MR, a private website, as a vehicle to do so.

I'm not going to stop you from smoking. It's your body. I'll be damned if I'm going to allow you to do it in my house though. (Sorry, it's the best analogy I could come up with at the time. :eek:)

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
One might also say: people should be able to do whatever the hell they want with their website/forums, it's their responsibility. This is arn's site; it's arn's call. He says "No".
what do you want me to say? its a pretty stupid idea anyway. rules are rules tho'

*Calypso*

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2011
Germany
It's also against the terms to give them out for non-testing purposes.

I think you can tell by the amount of posts in the iOS forum, that people are testing the ***** out of iOS 6 right now. Apple just doesn't give non-registered users an official way to report bugs.

I simply don't see how developers (or people who call themselves that after paying $99) are more suited to test iOS betas than the average user, especially when they are mainly concerned with their own App, often not even using the beta on their primary device, thus providing no day-to-day use feedback. Apple would be well-advised to finally make their betas available to the public, instead of having to fix all major issues with a x.1 release, because they were overseen during testing.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I think you can tell by the amount of posts in the iOS forum, that people are testing the ***** out of iOS 6 right now. Apple just doesn't give non-registered users an official way to report bugs.

I simply don't see how developers (or people who call themselves that after paying $99) are more suited to test iOS betas than the average user, especially when they are mainly concerned with their own App, often not even using the beta on their primary device, thus providing no day-to-day use feedback. Apple would be well-advised to finally make their betas available to the public, instead of having to fix all major issues with a x.1 release, because they were overseen during testing.

Apple will probably never release betas to the public officially because they don't want to be responsible for a users device if something goes wrong with the beta.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I simply don't see how developers (or people who call themselves that after paying $99) are more suited to test iOS betas than the average user
One reason apple provides the beta is for developers to tune and update their apps. A side benefit is that they can report bugs to apple on stuff they find.

I don't think anyone here is going to argue that the apple's current beta program is great and should not be as locked down. The fact is apple keeps it locked down and while many people here at MR have iOS6 we're not going to facilitate their ability to get it, i.e., allow UDID registration services.

*Calypso*

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2011
Germany
Apple will probably never release betas to the public officially because they don't want to be responsible for a users device if something goes wrong with the beta.

Then they should simply offer an downgrade option in iTunes from all beta versions to the last stable version. I doubt that any beta could physically break an iPhone. It's a beta, not an early experimental alpha that might blow up a phone's battery in Apple's lab. ;)

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere

Their welcome to if they pay Apple to access the OS software they want to install on the device. Otherwise they have to wait until it is properly released.

Seriously installing a beta OS on your main device is just crazy. You WILL hit glitches and they may cause data important dataloss.

MR's stance is perfectly fair.

----------

Then they should simply offer an downgrade option in iTunes from all beta versions to the last stable version. I doubt that any beta could physically break an iPhone. It's a beta, not an early experimental alpha that might blow up a phone's battery in Apple's lab. ;)

Its not so much the OS / phone they are worried about messing up, but people's data.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona

I think the fact that the iOS 6.0 betas can be installed without registering UDID is not an accident.

Michael

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida

Like tarasis said, it's their data, not so much the device. I believe developers are even encouraged not to put betas on their primary devices.

----------

I think the fact that the iOS 6.0 betas can be installed without registering UDID is not an accident.

Michael

Really?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.