Uggh Why is safari 4 so slow

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrplough, Jul 1, 2009.

1. mrplough macrumors member

Firefox runs blistering fast. Safari will work now an then. Other times its just sits there loading to even get to google. It is so frustrating to have just moved over from windows to mac, and have my old laptop side by side load immediately and wait for safari to load even after reloads. What is going on here? And yes, i did look on the forms about the DNS problem. But firefox works just fine. :( Please Help :confused:

2. stevenlangley1 macrumors regular

stevenlangley1

i don't have an issue with the speed of Safari 4....but damn it has crashed on me over twenty times in the last few months....I might have to download Firefox 3.5:mad::mad:

3. mrplough thread starter macrumors member

4. sal macrumors 6502

Same here. It crashes a lot. I was quite happy with safari 3 and abandoned FF because I was happy with safari. Now, not so much. Might have to move to FF 3.5

I will wait for a safari 4 update, if that doesn't fix it. I am going with ff3.5

5. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

On my PC i dumped IE for Firefox then Firefox for Chrome then Chrome for Safari 3 over the course of 2 years. Now I have my Mac I started using Safari 4 but it just kept crashing:mad: so a few days ago I downloaded Firefox 3.5. Hasnt crashed once!!!

6. Gaelic2 macrumors 6502

Safari 4 has been running great for me. I use it daily and find it far quicker than version 3. I have never had it crash.....ever. I have used a lot of browsers the past 20,years and nothing has been this stable and this fast.:D

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

you mean last 18 years? there was no browsers in 1989.

8. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

am i one of the few in the entire world who likes safari?? i dont have any gripes with it. Once or twice i have to reload the page, but most of the time thats related to the fact that my wireless at home is rubbish!!

9. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

You aren't the only one who prefers Safari; in fact, for me, Safari runs circles around Firefox.

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

of course not, there are at least another 20 million of people knowingly chose safari.

However, this thread is a simple description of a simple fact, browsers are always unpredictable, and some users, like OP, experienced significant slow browsing with it.

11. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

Indeed.. that sounds like fair enough, and justified statement heh :p. at the end of the day, whatever works for you in your own personal situation i guess :D

PTP

12. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

It just seems that the vast majority of my peers dont use it, they swear not to use in fact. My parents dont (but then again they are on vista/XP so i guess it makes sense) just a very browserific world (new word?? :p)

PTP

13. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I was having issues with Safari 4 speed and crashing. Then I realized I was using an old version of the Glims plugin. I updated that, and things have been great.

So check to see if you have any third-party addons that need updating or removing.

14. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Personally, I find Safari 4 much faster than 3--and faster than FF--at least that is the way it is on my iMac.

I know most of the comments involve problems as they certainly are more important to those with the problems but everything I've ever updated on this iMac has gone flawlessly including Safari 4 and the 10.5.7 update.

15. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

thats another fact, statistics are there, and safari is not a browser with great market share.

Individuals looking at browsers with their own needs, many people, or I shall say, most people, comes down to a different conclusion than you or other users.

World is diverse, really not a surprise. :)

16. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

ahhhh statistics heh.. i should be good at that, i learnt it once upon a time, think i might of missed that maths lesson though. no matter! i have firefox as well updated to 3.5 to cover me ass if i require it. Not that i tend to bother using it. I have everything i need in safari. i feel it has gotten more and more reliable over time as well!! :D

PTP

17. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

i actually haven't had any problems with safari. maybe the occasional beachball when someone has a gif in a forum sig, but aside from that, no problems. i don't think its crashed once on me since i downloaded it, plus its blazing fast.

18. mrplough thread starter macrumors member

everything is good. Manually set the DNS shown on my router settings and now everything is zipping along

19. sanddunes21 macrumors newbie

I haven't had any problems with Safari 4. It's extremely fast compared to Firefox and it's yet to crash on me. I don't know why everyone's having problems.

20. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

thats called unpredictability, not everyone's experiences are the same. unless you can find a solution for OP.....

21. mrplough thread starter macrumors member

22. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

23. mrplough thread starter macrumors member

well the DNS problem does restrict some sites like megavideo even on firefox.
    But oh well it is what it is

OFF topic - set up my Cannon MP620 printer today...
    Awesome wireless printing and scanning, no driver problems what so ever
    I love os x ;)