Ugghhh, another issue with my MBP 13"... Service Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by melman101, Oct 31, 2010.

1. melman101 macrumors 68030

Just a few weeks ago, I was without my Macbook Pro 13" Mid-2009 for approximately a week because the trackpad had stopped clicking and I had a bright spot in my display. I got my computer back and all was well in Macbook Pro land.

Now, I've been checking the battery at the top and it says Service Battery.

According to Coconut Battery

My current age is 13 months, 217 battery load cycles, but my battery capacity is only 78%.

Design Capacity: 5450 mAh
    Current Capacity: 4265 mAh

Do you think AppleCare (which I have) will replace my battery for free? Also, do they do this in store, or will I have to wait a week again?

I'm also letting it fully discharge then fully recharge to see if a calibration will fix it before I bring it in this week.

This really sucks. But I would never by any other computer ever.

Sincerely,
    Mel

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

yes, apple guarantees your battery to 80% capacity over five years, if it drops lower they will replace it.
    it may take a little persuading w/o apple care, but you have it so no worries.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That is not true at all.

Read this: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

And pay special attention to the sections BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED and BATTERY LIFESPAN.

4. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I got the "Service Battery" a few weeks ago on my 2007 MacBook Pro 15" - I replaced the battery about 2 years ago. Now, the message has disappeared.

5. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

Same problem after a full discharge and full recharge. Now it says my battery health is 75%. :-(

6. nolenium macrumors newbie

Mel, have you run Software Update recently? AppleCare (in-store or over the phone) will want to make sure the OS and firmware are all up-to-date.

Also, if you call in, they'll check to make sure you've reset the SMC (and maybe PRAM) and probably done a full calibration on the battery.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

Those three could also save you a trip to the Apple Store (the first 2 links should only take 1-2 minutes), unless it's definitely a defective battery.

The store *can* run a check on the battery if you want to head in; they have a test that gives them a solid idea where the battery's at. If it's defective, some stores can do the swap there. Sometimes it's faster for them to send it off to a repair center.

7. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Yep, looks like you need a new battery. I only did it twice (on my 2008 MBP) and AppleCare covered it both times.

8. Chasel macrumors newbie

My battery died as well. It can't even hold any charges. Computer will shut down immediately if I unplug the A/C. I reset both settings and it doesn't help. Does it look like a defected battery? If so will apple replace it for me if I am out of warranty?

Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 65400
    Fully charged: No
    Charging: No
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 65400
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 168
    Condition: Replace Now
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): 0
    Voltage (mV): 11874

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Technically, no. However, you may get someone at the Apple store to make an exception. It never hurts to ask, but it's not guaranteed.

10. Chasel macrumors newbie

Alright I guess I will visit an Apple store.
    Do you have any idea why my battery could not hold any charge anymore despite being charged for only 168 times?

11. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

simply put, defective battery

12. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I had one replaced with 25 cycles on it.... These things can just go bad.