Ugghhh, Hard Drive Replacement Gone Bad

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by CoffeeWarrior, Jun 20, 2009.

1. CoffeeWarrior macrumors regular

So I decided to upgrade my bastard child macbook unibody, poor little fella was jealous of its new cousins.

I got a 500 gig western digital scorpio blue and installed it. Then I noticed my macbook was making more noise. Kinda sounded like the fan was on low, upon further inspection it was the new hard drive. The stock Toshiba 160 gig is ultra quite so I was not expecting that. I thought I had a faulty drive so I returned it for a Seagate 500 Gig and the same annoying noise was there.

So after all that is said and done, I am back on my old stock hard drive

Sometimes I get the feeling apple is spoiling us with their nice choice of hardware (Excluding ****** displays)

2. RDM3 macrumors regular

I have been thinking of upgrading my 120GB HD, i have about 84GB free, so there really is no need right now, I save everything, iTunes songs, etc all on a 1TB external, so really I have no use, for right now, a bigger HD.

3. CoffeeWarrior thread starter macrumors regular

4. RDM3 macrumors regular

How much of the 160gb on your HD are you using?

5. CoffeeWarrior thread starter macrumors regular

About 130, but I am taking more pictures and will be ripping DVD's soon

6. Cousin Dirk macrumors 6502a

Ouch. You really need to keep 10-20% of your hard drive free in order to keep your machine running smoothly.

7. RDM3 macrumors regular

Are you going to get an external HD for the pics and dvds?? I got my 1TB for $119 and then bought a Seagate 1.5TB about 3 weeks ago for $139 at BestBuy

8. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

I just moved from the stocK 160 drive to two WD Scorpio Blue 500s via an Optibay and they are both completely silent. No change in noise over stock.

9. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I recently upgraded a 15" mbp to the 500GB scorpio blue drive from WD. It's a really nice drive. Take a look at it on newegg, it has a lot of positive ratings. Sorry to hear you got a bad one.