Ugh...: Change MB/MPB HD - Issues (IGNORE! THX!)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eidrunner247, Jan 22, 2010.

1. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

This is very straightforward. I have a Unibody MB and I am trying to swap out the 160GB hard drive for the 500 WD hard drive.

My issue is this: I bought a case for the WD hard drive (a very cheap one on ebay for 3 bucks - perhaps the cause of my problem right?) This one.

I plug it in, and the light turns on, but my computer does not recognize the external hard drive. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to install the 500GB hard drive and *then* put the original hard drive in the enclosure instead?

Just want to get this done - so thanks in advance. Normally, I use ifixit.com, but I ran into this problem, and wasn't quite sure what to do first :-/

Thanks in advance

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Do you have anything else plugged into your USB ports? Try plugging only your external in.

Otherwise that case looking kinda cheap lolz. I suggest one of the rosewill or startech varieties.

Also: Is it being identified by disk utility?

3. eidrunner247 thread starter macrumors 6502

No - that's the problem. It's not being identified by disk utility.

I wonder if it is the quality of the enclosure. I took a gamble - but I would think they would work ya know? I mean, if 100/100 or even 50/100 did not work, I'd expect a maker not to be in business for too long.

(I only have the HD enclosure plugged into my USB port)

4. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Do you have both USB plugs on the cable plugged in?

5. eidrunner247 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow... I feel retarded. Thank you over and over and over!!

6. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Did that work? Most portable hard drives like that will work with just one of the plugs plugged in, but considering that one was $3 on ebay, that would do it.