Ugh...cracks in white iPhone 3G...would Apple replace an AT&T purchase?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xolan99, Jul 28, 2008.

1. xolan99 macrumors regular

Eeek...I kinda wished I stuck with my black 8gb now...

Got my white iPhone 3G and after the troublesome activation process, was glad that it worked now...

However, I looked closely and yes, i have cracks in my white iPhone 3G on the bottom left corner and in between the chrome and headphone set.

I bought this at an AT&T store and don't want to wait another several days for a new phone.

Would I be able to get a replacement at the Apple store?

2. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Yes, as long as Apple agrees that it wasn't caused by the user. I bought my iPhone from AT&T and got two replacements from Apple. They have been very good with replacing with no questions asked lately.

However, if you plan on getting another white as a replacement, I would wait a while, so Apple can figure out what is going on.

3. xolan99 thread starter macrumors regular

Do I have to make an appt with the Genius Bar or can I just walk in?

The local Apple store in NYC won't have a timeslot until Wednesday :(

4. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Appointment would be best. Here in MI I have been able to walk in and be put on a waiting list, but my phone wouldn't even turn on, so it was a little more urgent. I would say just make an appointment, as your phone still works.

5. Jayden0606 macrumors 6502

I dropped mine and it chipped... wonder if I can get a replacement... :rolleyes:

6. xolan99 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I made an appointment with the Genius Bar for tomorrow morning at 8 AM (ugh).

Do I need my AT&T receipt or something?

7. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I would bring it if you have it

Better safe than sorry

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

My thought: Plastic cracks easier than aluminum I have dropped this first generation one at least twice (with a protective case) and have barely done any damage to the phone at all (save two knicks from the innards of a recliner). Plastic just plain isn't as strong. I'd still love to see some tests comparing the signal strength between the two since I've got 5 bars indoors right now.

9. Inukami macrumors 6502

http://www.iphonealley.com/news/iphone-3g039s-quotplasticquot-actually-stronger-aluminum-iphone

10. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

While interesting, I was looking for something that compared *signal* strength. :) I heard a lot about how the aluminum hindered reception, yet Apple and other PC makers keep using it in cases and my GPS unit in my car is made of some type of metal.

As far as the physical strength of the materials, it's still hard for me to believe that whatever the new substance is holds up better than friggin metal. I also think the new ones look extremely cheap compared to the old ones.

11. dauerhippo macrumors regular

To the OP:

Just so you know, you will likely NOT get a replacement phone right away, if you bought from AT&T. I was in a similar situation yesterday. Apparently, if you bought it at apple, they can just pull a new one off the shelf and give it to you as a replacement.

But, if you bought from AT&T, they have to give you a "replacement unit" which comes in a little white box. The problem is, they have such low stock of these replacement units, so they will need to order one for you, which can take 2-3 days. The good thing is, that when you come back to the store to pick it up, they won't make you wait and you won't need an appointment.

I got mine at the SoHo store, but all three NYC stores didn't have any of these replacement phones in stock.

Also, despite what you might read on these forums about the white box phones being of crappier quality and maybe being refurbished, mine looked brand new and so far, it is flawless. It's week number is also 3 weeks later than my original phone, so I'm guessing they really are new, it's just that Apple doesn't want to print a whole box + include all the accessories for replacements, to cut costs.

just FYI

12. xolan99 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, you're so right...

I went this A.M. to the 5th Ave. Store. The guy said, "We can give you a new phone but we don't have any stock."
    I was like, "You don't have any white iPhones left?"
    He goes, "Not one that I can give you."
    I was like, "Waaa"?

Anyway he put in an order for one and told me it will take 3-5 business days probably.

Ugh...

13. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Don't worry, you are not alone, this is just another side effect of the mass shortage in phones. What did they have you do, keep your current until the new one comes in?

14. xolan99 thread starter macrumors regular

Yep. The thing works, just with cracks on the side.

15. oban14 macrumors 6502a

I sure am glad I got black. White seems like an accident just waiting to happen.