Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I've had a 1st gen iPhone since last June. I just so happen(ed) to live in a tiny AT&T black hole for Edge (I got the blank icon instead of an E all the time), and a grey hole for phone service (low bars)...on the east side of Manhattan, in the teens. This occurred in my apt, and on the streets around my immediate hood.

Out of the blue, about 2 weeks ago, I started getting full bars inside my apt, where I got 2 or 3 previously, and full on Edge service all over the immediate area. I even noticed that Edge was running a lot faster with less time-outs.

I figured maybe it had something to do with AT&T beefing up the antennae near me, perhaps in anticipation of the new iPhone launch.

Fast forward to tonight, after 7 grueling hours in line to get a new 3G iPhone... I get home, sit on my front stoop, and check the connection. I have 2-3 bars, and a 3G icon. I run the a couple of different speed tests and get slower than edge speeds...not only slower than the boosted Edge I've been getting this month, but slower than the shoddy Edge/GPRS I was getting previously.

Maybe there's a network issue with all the new 3G iPhones in NYC? Maybe the black hole I'm in was only fixed for Edge users? Maybe I just spent a day of my life in the boiling sun to get a phone that runs slower in my neck of the woods?

Anyone else in retrograde?

otep1760

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2007
i dont have a 3g, but about 2 weeks ago, my signal also boosted up in my house and my edge works great now... strange

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.