Ugh, got small dent/scruff when upon opening Apple Sport Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by aneftp, Apr 25, 2015.

1. aneftp macrumors 68040

Just got home after working last night at the hospital. Ate breakfast and was going to open my new Apple Sport Watch.

Than noticed a small dent/scruff below the power button the right.

Calling Apple now (on hold). Hopefully can get replacement soon. Sucks. Haven't even powered on the watch. If local store doesn't have it. Will have to do mail order in. Who knows how long that will take.

Attached Files:

2. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

3. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

... Not well I guess?

4. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I genuinely believe, based upon other threads over the years that Apple uses the general public as a kind of final inspection department.

There can only be two scenarios here:

1: They simply are not visually inspecting them individually fully and just doing sample checks, which is not THAT uncommon in manufacturing, so bad ones will come thru to the customer.

or.......

2: They are spotting them in their final inspection and due to manufacturing/numbers pressure they are simply letting them go thru to the customers, as there may be, like a 30% chance any particular customer won't notice it, or won't be bothered by it, so it's worth trying as opposed to rejecting in at the factory.

5. aneftp thread starter macrumors 68040

Yeah. I was on the phone over one hour. They can't guarantee me anything. First woman tried to tell me I would have to wait to June. Took another 20 minutes to get supervisor.

I am not even asking for free stuff either. Supervisor claims I will have higher priority to ONCE they receive my watch back.

I haven't even turned the watch on her either. Guess I will just play with it for 2 days and send it back. Hope to receive a replacement once in 2 weeks. If Apple keeps their word I have higher priority.

6. pmau macrumors 65816

I wouldn't return it for exchange. This dent will happen sooner or later, it's aluminum.

The replacement might have different issues.

But that's my opinion.

7. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Is it worth making a huge deal over it? Its the smallest of dents and is bound to happen sooner or later anyway. If watches were replaceable straight away I would say go for it, but because its not that simple I think you should just live with it. Unless you can wait till June (Earliest?).

8. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

This is one of my concerns with the Apple Watch Sport. I wonder how easy will it be to dent?

Does your local Apple Store have replacement devices on site?

9. dandrewk macrumors 6502

If you are near an Apple store, just take it there. They do have the watches in stores for warranty exchanges.

10. linsam macrumors 6502

linsam

I'm so sorry for you. I'd go to an Apple Store. Perhaps they'll have a replacement for you. Good luck.

11. aneftp thread starter macrumors 68040

I had the Apple online rep call the local Apple retail store. They don't have any watches for exchanges on site.

12. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

That question has been bouncing around a lot, so I guess that settles it. FWIW, i would definitely do the exchange... Cant have a firstgen apple watch with a ding already... I disagree with the poster who said dont bother

13. Kent01 macrumors 6502

Heavily depends on the store. My local store replaced my roommates that had a faulty taptic engine where it wouldn't vibrate and they replaced it in-store. 38mm blue sport.

He did online chat with support and worked it out with them and the retail store at Natick, MA.

14. DaveOP macrumors 65816

This is not true at all, all watch Service is being sent out to a repair facility. There is no stock in the Apple Store to switch this out.

15. splinteredmind macrumors newbie

splinteredmind

I was taking off my white sport of last night and it dropped (glass first) on my bedside table (about 1/2 a foot), now its got a hairline scratch in the top right corner of the screen... wish I had gone with the SS/sapphire :p

16. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Not true. There are several forum members who have had success at an Apple Store. I know one from MA was in and out with a replacement.

17. DaveOP macrumors 65816

As someone who works there, this contradicts anything that has ever been communicated

18. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

You should definitely exchange it! You have a good attitude too and are doing it for the right reasons. Best of luck! I don't think you'll have to wait to too long.

19. smorrissey macrumors 6502a

You should exchange it of course, sadly Apple warranty doesn't cover cosmetic issues.

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You're an Apple Store employee? Aren't you prohibited from visiting this site lest you lose your job?

21. smorrissey macrumors 6502a

Also if you get a replacement i suggest you to buy it a watch case and a screen protector immediately.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I was once spell-checking a document, and we had three people read through it (this was before we had spell-checkers). We all reported the errors we found, and the corrections were made, and the document was published. As I was reading the published document, I noticed a spelling error –- all three of us had missed it.

In the same way, any mass manufacturing process will produce a few defective units, no matter how diligently they are checked.

23. rcm195 macrumors newbie

I always like how these bean counter employees think they know everything. We have one in the family and come to find out he really doesn't know anything. Look up the forums and you will see certain stores that have these replacement units. Just because your store does not, there are others that do

24. rcm195 macrumors newbie

I always like how these bean counter employees think they know everything. We have one in the family and come to find out he really doesn't know anything. Look up the forums and you will see certain stores that have these replacement units. Just because your store does not, there are others that do