Ugh! I cannot decide! Please help, 2.4 or 2.5?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bootsie, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

I am planning on buying a new MBP, and making the switch from windows, I am very excited.

But I cannot decide if I should go for the 2.4 or 2.5, money is not a huge issues, I just want to get the most for the money that I do spend. I will be getting the free iPod and printer, and selling my old windows machine to help a little.

These are the things I will be using it for...

Lots of internt browsing
    Email
    Lots of streaming video (I don't have Tivo, so I watch a lot of TV online)
    Photo processing (a few hundred shots per week, usually shot in RAW)
    Some video editing.
    Some sound editing.
    A few games, nothing very GPU intensive though. (maybe Guitar Hero)
    Using iTunes (syncing iPod and iPhone ect.)
    Sometimes I have 4 or 5 of these things going on at once.

I would definitely buy the 2.5, if I knew that it would make a significant difference in the things that I will be using it for, but I just can't figure out if it is going to.

I am also trying to determine if I should just buy it now, or wait for a few more weeks to see if there is an update, I am so sick of trying to decide, I just want to make the decision, and enjoy my MBP, but unfortunatly my mind doesn't work that way, I have to think through things way to much ha ha.
    Please help!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. Jurwin macrumors regular

Jurwin

Just get the 2.5ghz otherwise you'll regret it later down the road when you have the 2.4ghz. It's true that the difference is small but it's knowing that you could have had an extra 100mhz, double the L2 cache (6mb vs 3mb on the 2.4) and double the video ram (512mb vs 256mb on the 2.4ghz).

4. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Agree!! good logic:cool:

5. Scaryclouds macrumors newbie

I agree. Buy the 2.4 and use the money saved to buy 4 GB of ram from Newegg. The difference between 2.4 and 2.5 is virtually unnoticeable. However having an additional 2GB of RAM when it comes to photo processing and running multiple programs will make a noticeable difference.

6. ben.mcmahan macrumors member

there's a little bit of apples to oranges in this link:
    http://barefeats.com/mbpp01.html

but it does show you the (minor) difference between the 2.4 and the 2.6.

(btw I'm in the same boat re: choice - and i cant decide either...that's a heckuva premium for a few seconds less in rendering or a few more fps in a game).

i think I've settled on the 2.4, and sell my ipod touch to pay for applecare.

7. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

If money is not a problem: 2.5 MacBook Pro
    If money is a problem: Black MacBook

8. Snowbound macrumors regular

He's right. You say money isn't really an issue, then go with the 2.5. The 512 mb vram is worth it if you have the money.

9. Neuro macrumors regular

Neuro

Get the faster one! It's not a fortune. You can't upgrade the cpu at a later date so get the best you can now.

10. MacBook Xeon macrumors newbie

get the 2.5 TWICE the amount of cache as 2.4, so more computing :)

11. Jurwin macrumors regular

Jurwin

If money is no issue just get the 2.6ghz and you'll know you have the fastest :p

12. Expecto macrumors newbie

2.5, no question. I could only afford 2.4 but i need 2.5 occasionally.

13. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

What are you smoking???

He wants to do photo editing, some video editing, and some sound editing - going from the 2.4 to the 2.5 means the L2 cache is doubled from 3MB to 6MB - that's going to make a *big* difference for these types of tasks.

For only $500 more you get twice the video memory (512 MB vs. 256 MB), twice the CPU cache (6 MB vs. 3 MB), larger hard drive, and small jump in CPU clock (2.5 vs. 2.4). IMO it's silly not to get the 2.5.

DDR2 ram is so cheap these days why would it even be a consideration?? :confused:

14. ben.mcmahan macrumors member

the barefeats tests dont show a huge difference based on cache size...(although it does make a small difference, as evidenced by the SR 2.4 being faster than the Penryn 2.4 in a few of the tasks.

I'd like to see some tests that show why this is such a big deal...and for some of y'all - there is a middle ground between money is no object, and trying to buy the best computer for the money...esp if dedicated graphics are a must...