Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HotTots88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
I have a Macbook from 2008. It crashed about a month ago with the famous "blue screen." I was told to Archive and Install by Apple Support. All was good in the hood. Then I went to update/back up my iPhone a few days ago, and was told I didn't have enough space left on my HD, so I did a stupid thing, and started deleting what I thought were a few duplicate files, since after I Archived and Installed I lost half my HD space to having copies of things. I freed up the space, and everything was still running so I figured I was in the clear.

Everything was working fine, my iPhone was updating, restoring, and then the computer rebooted. There I got a folder with a ? over it. F&^%. So, I figured I could save it the same way I had done before. Only this time, it went halfway and then I got an error during the install from the repair dvd, and it started going through a reboot loop. I popped in the disk again, and now it says I don't have enough room on my HD to install the OS.

I do not have any backup (duh, cuz I'm an idiot) and I have years of cherished photos on the computer that I really want to save (not to mention the backup of my iPhone!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IS THIS RECOVERABLE?) So I did a little research, and learned about the magical "target disk mode" I figured I could grab what I wanted off of it, and wipe everything off, start fresh (or buy a new computer!). So, I tried it, but I have this problem: I can get my busted laptop into the mode (I see the FireWire symbol bouncing around), but I can NOT get my working MacBook ("Host") to show me anything is connected. I tried rebooting, I tried reconnecting, no luck.

Does anyone have any helpful advice? Incase I lost you in my long boring story, I need help getting it to either connect to my other Macbook via Target Disk Mode, or just to boot in general. I went to Disk Utility and repaired the disk (all was O.K.) and repaired all the permissions (all was O.K.) I also tested the hardware and all was O.K.

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
If you have a bad hard drive, you'll have problems in target disk mode. Does it show as connected in the FireWire section of the System Profiler?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.