Ugh - really? VVM needs an update too

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by samcraig, Jul 31, 2009.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

Sorry - as a new iPhone and Visual Voicemail user I have just run into a frustration. Is there really no way to forward a voicemail to another number and/or reply to a voicemail message (I don't mean call back)

This is available on every other voicemail system - I'm surprised (and I am sure it's been discussed) that the functionality of VVM hasn't been updated along with the OS, and other carrier updates.

At the very least (if you can't do it on the phone) you should be able to dial into your VM and forward/reply from there.

This is one function I really wish they'd address.

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Pretty sure you can dial into your voicemail the normal way (keypad, press and hold 1). As far as forwarding, I have no clue. Never had the need.

3. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

At the very least (if you can't do it on the phone) you should be able to dial into your VM and forward/reply from there.

Yes. You can dial in manually. But as I said - you can't forward/reply from there...

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Then what do you mean? How do you reply to someone without calling them?

Well, I'm sure they're useful, but I've never had them before. So I don't think they're as common as you think.

5. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Perhaps you had the option - but never heard/understood it/whatever

Not a criticism.

But on almost every voicemail system (cell or office) there's a function to forward a voicemail (i.e. a menu option and then it asks you for a phone number to send the voicemail to. Sometimes you can even append the message by adding your own comments like "Hey - this came to me but I think you're better suited to handle this" or etc. And then the voicemail (and your comment) are sent to the person's VM direct.

Replying works the same - if you don't want to call the person back but want to reply to their VM (i.e. you know they're in a meeting or maybe at a movie or whatever) - you can just hit an option on the voicemail "reply" and record a message and then hit # to send - it will go into their vm box without ringing their phone.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, I can't say that I would ever need either of those features, but this is what you want:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Try and get as many people as you know to submit your idea.

EDIT: I've always hated voicemail in the past. The iPhone has made it tolerable, so it's only the last year that I've spend much time thinking about voicemail at all. I suspect there are many iPhone users like me. Education should be your primary goal since many people have just never dealt with this stuff before. As you can see, your initial post didn't even make sense to me. I wasn't saying they weren't useful features...I was saying I didn't even understand the features you were talking about!

7. icewing macrumors 6502

I've had this ability in voicemail systems, i.e., within a business that's got everyone's voicemail on the same server. I don't recall ever having had this option with any of the cell phone providers I've had, though...

8. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

I agree. I needed this feature today. NO GO I guess. Well. I'm glad I searched.

fyi- BB and dumbphones can do this...I gues this should be the next rant.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Nope, there's enough to rant about already.

10. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Is there ever enough? Maybe if I add MMS forwarding to the original message?

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You can't add that until Sep. 25.