Ugh-Sorry, I know- Another thread about

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eldiablojoe, Jun 1, 2015.

?

Best option for needs / circumstances?

1. Keep 2009 MacBook white Unibody

2. 2015 MacBook

3. 2015 MacBook Pro 13"

4. 2015 MacBook Pro 15"

5. Wait

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Ugh-Sorry, I know- Another thread about which MacBook I should buy. I understand if you want to ignore it and jump over to another thread. I appreciate any who thoughtfully comment though.

Circs: I have a 2009 white unibody MacBook. I suffered through years of spinning beach balls and re-boots until I upgraded a few months back to an SSD and more RAM. Now it is working much better. However, it is aging, the battery is getting hot and loses charge fast, and I've saved up enough cash I feel comfortable spending a few G's.

I am a recreational user. I mostly web surf, email, and occasionally have some word processing and such to do for work. I do not do much at all with any resource-suckers such as Aperture, Final Cut, Handbrake, GarageBand, etc.

I do frequently have up to 10 web pages up simultaneously, and I do some playing around in iPhoto (no- haven't made the fearful leap to Photos yet) to manage and backup the pix we take on our iPhones. I use external HDDs for backing up, cloning, and storing my iPhotos and iTunes libraries. I also use the CD/DVD drive about 4x/year for work.

I'm also interested in future-proofing to some extent, I do not want to be stuck buying a machine that will leave me in a couple years wishing I had something more modern (If I don't get USB-C now, will I regret it later?). Like most people, my current peripherals are standard USB-A.

Things I am definitely interested in: The new force-touch pad, retina screen, smooth performance.

So, here are my thoughts upon which I am seeking input:

1. Keep my 2009 MacBook Unibody until it gives up the ghost;
    2. The new 2015 MacBook;
    3. 2015 MacBook Pro (open to either 13 or 15 inch)
    4. Wait until WWDC next week to see what is offered / announced
    5. Wait until some future can't-live-without chip.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Recently I was in a similar situation. My last Mac was a mid 2009 13" MacBook Pro with a 2.53GHz C2D processor. I had upgraded the HDD to a SSD and maxed the RAM at 8GB. I ended up giving this computer to my parents about 2 years ago and just went Mac-less.

Last month, it was time to get a new laptop and I took a look at the new retina MacBook and the recently upgraded 2015 13" retina MacBook Pro. Portability is important to me but I don't travel a lot, so I don't need the ultralight retina MacBook. I also couldn't stand the keyboard. And the single port for charging and all other functions seemed like it would be a bother at times.

I went with the 13" retina MacBook Pro because it had the best combination of portability and functionality, at least in my eyes. If you don't travel a lot, I'd consider the 15" model as well.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It's a tough choice, for your use I would say pretty much any of the options you give are acceptable, but here are my thoughts.

You really don't need a 15 inch rMBP scrap this option.

You can carry on with your macbook but if you have the cash, buy now, before life eats your pot of computer loot.

The laptop line up has all been updated over the last 2 months there will be nothing at WWDC.

So now we are down to wether or not you get the rMB or the 13 rMBP.

Either will be fine for your use, if you need more than one port for peripherals though then it's a bit of a wait for the dongles and hubs to be released to go with USB C on the rMB so not the easiest to get around without multiple dongles currently. If you need DVD drive you'll need an external one (picked up for $20 for a bluray version on amazon I'm sure) for any current apple laptop.

The Core M in the rMB will probably be much better on the next iteration so if that is your aim it may be best to wait.

The rMBP will of course do all it all and have all the connections needed and even output 4K for future proofing
    the next round of chips will be no great improvement on the Broadwell currently in the 13 inch rMBP and I can't see any major redesign next time round either.

If it was me I'd go with the 13 inch rMBP with the hard drive size you require, and enjoy it for as long as possible.

4. Ovedius macrumors 6502

Ovedius

Since you ask, and since I need only the slightest excuse to ramble on about anything:

You say you only want to use the machine for browsing the web, writing and rudimentary photo managment.

The way I see it, from your listed options, the New Macbook and the 13" Pro are your most fitting alternatives.
    It all depends on what you want to sacrifice.

13" Pro:
    More ports.
    -No need for adaptors or new drives.
    More power.
    -POWER! Do you need it though? I don't think so, not from your listed usage habits.
    Bigger screen.
    -ever so slightly bigger
    Less portable.
    -Still super duper portable, just not like the Macbook.
    Good keyboard
    -good old reliable keyboard we know and love

Macbook:
    Only one port.
    -you'll have to get adaptors for your external drives or new USB-C drives.
    Less powerfull
    -Core-M CPU, it's no slouch though, should give you enough power for daily stuff.
    Smaller screen
    -still a Retina Screen
    Super duper portable
    New keyboard
    -might take some getting used to.
    Pay more for less power
    -you do get much less horsepower for your money
    Passive cooling
    -bit of a double edged sword. On one hand you risk CPU throtling, on the other hand: sweet, sweet silence. (I HATE fan noise)
    1. Generation device
    -this one is a big deal for me. I have a slight, maybe irrational, aversion towards first generation devices. The second generation tends to blow the first one out of the water, sometimes.

Sooooooo

Me, I need power.
    Discreete GPU, quad core CPU, lot's of storage, the works.
    Photo editing, coding, heavy work related software and gaming habits.
    I also like big screens.

However, if I did not require all that power, I think I'd go fooooor...
    Argh, if the new Macbook wasn't in it's first generation I'd definitely go for it.
    But, as it stands I'd go for the Pro.
    It's reliable, "been around the block", nice new Broadwell CPU, portable, powerful....yeah: Pro.

5. nStyle macrumors 65816

You answered your own question.

"A fool and his money are soon parted."

You buy based on necessity.

Replace your battery (eBay + iFixit), invest your excess cash, and be happy.

6. Eldiablojoe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

I see your point, and I appreciate your advice. You think I should "Wait." I'm assuming that is the option you think is my wisest course of action, since "don't ever buy this" wasn't one I was considering.

I'm not shopping because I *need* something, I'm shopping because I have the money and I *want* something. I'm not a big TV or sports watcher, so I do not need, want, or have some crazy big-a$$ surround sound home theater 80-inch system. No one needs that, some just want it.

If I bought only what I NEED, I'd never go to the movies, buy anything beside utilitarian clothing, never eat out, never do a lot of things. Never buy an iPhone when a flip phone serves my basic needs, not buy a kayak, or scuba gear, never have bought a surfboard, or a house, (an apartment would do just fine - so would a van for that matter.

Yeah- I'm definitely buying something, eventually. It the "what" and "when" I was seeking help with.

7. Ovedius macrumors 6502

Ovedius

Let's not forget: fools have more fun! ;)

Apropos nothing, know of any decent time machine rentals?
    I just need to pop over to June 16., get my new 15" and pop back again, no biggie.

8. Eldiablojoe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You don't have to replace your external drives for something with type-c, just replace the cable.

10. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

If you don't want to wait for the rumoured MBP redesign in 2016 with Skylake, I'd say you should probably be looking at either the MacBook or the 13" rMBP. The 15" would be overkill - if you want more screen space, buy an external monitor instead and it will still be cheaper.

Just depends on whether you want the more flexible, refined design of the rMBP or the brand new, futuristic rMB. I'd wouldn't dismiss the rMB, even though it hasn't got many votes in the poll: it's a capable machine, and it a joy to pick up and use.