UGH...which 13" configuration should I buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by GREEN4U, Jun 19, 2012.

1. GREEN4U macrumors 6502a

I will start by saying that I do not want to custom order online; everytime I've ordered online I've had a bad experience - something breaks within the first week. I seriously think they just ship crap OR they don't do such a good job "customizing" it. Not to mention, they're non-returnable. So I vowed to myself that next time I would purchase it from the store.

So, I just called the Apple Store to find out which models they carry in the store and I'm at a loss now. They are;

$1199 - base model - (i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB) but I really want 8GB ram
    $1499 - mid-level model - (i5, 4GB RAM, 256 GB storage) Again, I really just want 8GB RAM. I don't need 256gb.
    $2199 - ultimate model - (i7, 8GB RAM, 512 GB storage) Just WAY too expensive.

I don't like any of these. All I really care about is the RAM. Should I just buy the base model with 4GB. Will that be enough (plan to use garageband and work with midi files)? OR should I just order online and get a i5, 8GB, 128? I've dreamt of walking in the store and walking out with my new laptop for seven years. I don't need my Air to be super powerful but I do want it to last me another 7 years. I just don't want to go through anymore horrible experiences of purchasing online.

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

I've never heard of someone having such a terrible experience with computers just because they bought a BTO model. They don't ship "crap" and I'm sure the customization is the exact same process as regular models.

That being said, I would just buy the base model for what you need.

3. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Taking a sample size of two and projecting it out on Apple's entire BTO system? Awesome.

4. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

$1200 is a whole lot of money to spend to just settle.

I'd order online.

5. GREEN4U thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the quick answers guys. Actually I used to work at the Apple Store in Palo Alto (many many years ago) and I saw quite a few new computers need repair that were BTO from online. This only added to my conviction.

Yeah it's all anecdotal, but anecdotes are always worth a little something, right?

6. mikeytrend macrumors member

Although I think this used to be true, I believe it's no longer the case. Just like the removal of the restocking fee. Apple will sell that BTO return somehow.

EDIT: My .02, I've ordered two BTOs from Apple and both have been superb.

7. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Just buy the base model, the RAM should be fine for what you need.

8. icyfire macrumors 6502

I'm currently using a BTO 13 inch Air with 8gb ram and 128gb ssd that I just received yesterday. It looks and functions beautifully. Definitely get the 8gb ram, you'll be thankful later when you have tons of web page tabs and other stuff running at the same time and don't have to worry about slowdowns. Don't settle for the in store models.

9. KPOM macrumors G5

Some of the stores have the 8GB 256GB models in stock. I purchased mine from Grand Central.

10. GREEN4U thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks icy that is incredibly helpful and reassuring.

Should I do the thing where I order online and pick up in the store (Palo Alto)? I really just want an excuse to visit the store!! :D But I'll probably go before ordering too to "test drive" everything.

11. beauregard macrumors newbie

Check Store Again

I also just purchased a new MacBook Air 13" with 8GB RAM through the online store. But since doing that, I confirmed that my local Apple Store has these in stock! Admittedly this store is in a large American urban area, but if you really have doubts about purchasing online, you might check the retail store again.

By the way, I've now purchased five Macs, five iPhones and 2 iPads online, all with no problem.

12. GREEN4U thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I called the Palo Alto Apple store. That's a pretty big/flagship store IMO. If they don't carry it, who would around me. I could try Valley Fair Mall or Stanford too. But if they or Palo Alto claims to carry it now, it would be highly suspicious to me. Those 3 models he told me over the phone were the ones on their list of ones they sold. Could any other configurations be ones that customers ordered and then returned? ....:confused:

13. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

If there's something wrong with your MBA they'll give you a new one.

14. beauregard macrumors newbie

Hmm. It's the South Coast Plaza store (Southern CA) that has them available. That might be larger than the Palo Alto store. I saw a MacRumors piece that Apple was planning a larger store in Stanford Mall in the next few months.

15. GREEN4U, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012

GREEN4U thread starter macrumors 6502a

Coincindently I'll be moving to Southern Cal in August for school. LOL. Which is why I need this computer. Hahahaha.

You don't know how badly I wanted to walk into the Palo Alto/Stanford store and show them my USC grad school letter. Take that Cardinals!!! FIGHT ON! *not that they'd actually care, lol* Then I'd be like "what;s your deal?" And they'd be like "what's YOUR deal??"

16. jmgregory1 macrumors 65816

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    If you have an iPhone, get the Apple Store app, build your preferred Air and tap to check store availability in your area. It will tell you whether the model you've selected is in stock. It's faster than calling around - and unless Apple's app isn't up to date with what actually is in-store, then it should also be accurate.

17. deeddawg macrumors 604

18. leman macrumors 604

You have unrealistic expectations. Hardware becomes outdated and fails. Even when there is a good probability of your MBA surviving 7 years, I doubt very much that it will be able to adequately run software 5 years in the future. Also, any occasional hardware problem would mean expensive repairs. A good estimate for computer's life span is around 3 years. The 8GB model is what, $1300? That's ~$40 per month over 36 month ownership. Rather cheap price to own a superb computer, don't you think? I pay twice as much for my internet connection :/

19. GREEN4U thread starter macrumors 6502a

It used to be non-returnable.

----------

Good point about the internet, LOL. That makes me sick to think about.

Would anyone care to refute the above quote though? I think it's fair to expect Apple computers to last a long time, longer than 3 years at least. As I mentioned my powerbook has lasted me 7 and even though it's slow now and can't hold a charge for longer than 25 seconds without the power adapter, it still is in top shape.

20. deeddawg, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012

deeddawg macrumors 604

Always worth checking for changes.

Define "last a long time" first. If all you do with a computer is light Office type tasks plus a little bit of email and web surfing, and you're pretty patient, then you'll likely be just fine for several years.

If you're a power user and/or gamer, then the usable lifetime of a computer is going to be a lot less; not for fault of the computer but due to your requirements outgrowing the computer's capabilities.

Since you're looking to BTO, I think folks are assuming you're more of a power user than someone who doesn't need much hardware power.

21. PVisitors macrumors 6502a

Sorry guys, not intending to hijack the thread.

2.0ghz i7 upgrade for £100. Worth it or not?

22. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Search "i5 or i7".