Ugh, YouTube? Give us Vimeo and Hulu!

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by dranakin, Sep 16, 2008.

1. dranakin macrumors 6502

Seriously, YouTube is like the MySpace of video sites. Is it possible/likely for Apple to eventually reach new deals with other flash video providers? I heard a Hulu app is being offered on a new phone (can't remember which).

2. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

A Hulu app would be freakin awesome! I would be all over that! I just don't realize why companies aren't all about maximizing their distribution channels...

3. sgibson macrumors regular

sgibson

4. moopf macrumors member

You already can, through Safari on the iPhone. Just go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer

5. The Phazer macrumors 68030

To be honest I would prefer to see the YouTube app completely rebuilt from the ground up with a new searching system and much much more functionality.

It's nigh useless as is, because you can't find anything.

Phazer

6. slidetounlock macrumors regular

You will never see Hulu on the iphone, never.....quote me

I work for one of the companies that are part of this 'project' aka Hulu, it isnt going to happen.

7. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

I have never even heard of Vimeo or Hulu.

For me, all YouTube needs is high quality videos on 3G...and comments.

8. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I would punch someone in the face for Hulu on the iPod/Phone and/or AppleTV.

Not going to argue with you about this (I don't know if you really work for the Hulu group, are in a position to know anything if you do work there, and don't really care, to be honest) but NBC/Universal/Fox/et al are stupid to not want to get that site onto as many devices as possible. They (try to, at least) make money selling ads in their streaming video and if they limit the number of people who can use them they're just shooting the whole thing in the foot, imo.

Adding Hulu.com to the iPhone/touch and ATV would really make the site explode, imo. Even doing a subscription service for those devices would be huge.

9. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

You need to get out more. Or less, I suppose. :p If YouTube is the MySpace of internet video (pretty accurate) Vimeo is sort of the Facebook. Better interface, better community, less people playing with broomstick lightsabers. Maybe a more accurate analogy would be YouTube = America's Funniest Home Videos and Vimeo = Project Greelight.

Hulu.com is a free, ad-supported streaming TV/movie service run by Universal/NBC and Fox. It's actually pretty well done, but there's no way to use it off your computer, which limits its usefulness.

10. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

... and only available in the USA

11. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

The person I was replying to is from Illinois. :p It's too bad that the TV companies ignore Eurasia, but it doens't make Hulu any worse.

12. bluelondon macrumors regular

lmarofl :D

13. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Glad you liked that. I say that a lot, sometimes when I'm really excited about something I often upgrade it to I'd punch my MOM in the face for <insert whatever here>.

14. MacGeekDC macrumors 6502

I would seriously pay 50 bucks for a hulu app.

15. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Hulu, Vimeo, or each network's own system. My computer isn't powerful enough to use Hulu or the CBS archive and would love to watch them on my iPhone, or through my dock connection on my TV.

TEG

16. dranakin thread starter macrumors 6502

Same here. I'm still on a four-year-old G4 that can barely handle Flash.

17. ilfn143 macrumors 6502

maybe we should sign a petition and send it to HULU requesting an iPhone App :)

EDIT: then we have to sign another petition requesting Apple to put it on App Store...

18. opticalserenity macrumors 6502a

I also don't think we'll ever see Hulu on iPhone. I think we'll see Vimeo soon. I'm not privy to inside knowledge, it's just Vimeo is a much more savvy web 2.0 company than NBC. The lack of NBC from iTMS for a period of time shows where their priorities are.

19. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Ohhh.. Hulu on my iPhone. Someone make one now! That would be great... I just started using the site again when I noticed they adding The Daily Show. :D

20. sgibson macrumors regular

sgibson

Yeah, I knew that. I completely thought I was in the Apple TV forum :eek::eek:

21. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

I doubt Hulu will re-encode all their video for iPhone like YouTube has been doing.

But what COULD happen is that Adobe gives developers a way to play Flash content on iPhone. Not through Safari probably, but Flash playback components that can be built into custom third-party apps. So Hulu.com won't run but a free Hulu app could do the job even better.

I hope that happens!

22. violet37 macrumors newbie

modernfeed.com

Modern Feed has a pretty good iPhone app and has all the shows that are on Hulu - legally.

23. capnjiggins macrumors member

I emailed Hulu about this a month ago...this was the response they sent me.

24. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Really??? AMAZINGLY great news.