Ugly ads

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by RichardI, Apr 29, 2009.

1. RichardI macrumors 6502a

RichardI

The organ donor ad on your site today is UGLY. The sponsor needs to tone it down for %^&* sake. It reduces a person to look like just an organ cupboard. Don't they need to be dead first? Might want to mention that. Good grief.

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I believe that you do in fact need to be alive to become an organ donor. If you are already dead and did not become an organ donor before you died, they cannot use your organs (i'm fairly certain).

3. RichardI thread starter macrumors 6502a

RichardI

You're kidding me right??

4. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I imagine he means you need to be alive to consent for your organs to be donated. It's a real bugger to consent once you're dead.

As for the ugly ads, post screenshots and give as much information as possible so that the admins can decide if they should look into it and possibly have it removed.

5. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Not if you're just MOSTLY dead.

Better yet, come up with alternate concept and pitch for the business. :)

6. RichardI thread starter macrumors 6502a

RichardI

Show a picture of a beautiful little girl who has been saved by a kidney transplant. Show a picture of a brother who just saved his sister by donated a spleen (can you donate one of those?). The positive side - not the internal organs of a young healthy man. You know - common sense? ? Nevermind ;)

Rich :cool:

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Well you have to have it in writing that you consent to your organs being used, and even then they've only got a short window for them to be iced before your organs are no good. It's a grade A (5-star restaurant) vs. Grade D (mcDonald's) type deal ;-)

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, I'll cry to see that.

What???? :rolleyes:

It would be nice if Arn had a chance to peruse the linked ads, but I doubt that it will ever be done.

9. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Yup, which is why they put it on your driver's license if you are a donor or not because car accidents are the most likely situation that they'll get your organs in time.

EDIT: Couldn't find the ad the OP was talking about, but I'm guessing this is more of what everyone was thinking about?

http://www.adsneeze.com/files/media/organ-donation.jpg

10. RichardI thread starter macrumors 6502a

RichardI

11. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

It looks like it is a Canadian ad which is probably why I haven't seen it. I wouldn't call it ugly though, it's actually very well designed, but it is a little graphic with the dripping blood!

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Thanks for the link, Richard.

Blood?? Once you "open" him up you should have passed that objection. ;)

I think it's very well done.

My donor info is on my health card. Safer, and quicker, than the driver's licence stub, in the event of quick access.

[​IMG]

13. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I was mostly referring to the logo. I get more woozy from blood or the idea of blood more than seeing the organs in the guy. My wife is a nurse though, and over the last 5 years i've gotten a little better about my blood issues...

I would imagine that more people carry a driver's license than a health card.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I won't belittle your problem. Many have the same issue.

I have that also, but when you, or your corpse, hits ER, the first thing they want is your health card.

Well, up here at least.

I do believe they expect your cold, dead hand to arise to hand it to the Triage nurse. :p

15. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

How to be an Organ and Tissue Donor (in the U.S.):
    1. Register with your state donor registry.
    2. Put the sticker on your driver’s license.
    3. Sign a donor card (PDF).
    4. Tell your family that you intend to be an organ donor. This is so they won't think you intended otherwise and so they can speak up about it when the time comes.
    5. Die. But don't worry; you can wait until you would have died anyway.
    If all of your organs are used, you might save 8 different lives. If all of your tissue is used, you might help 50 different people! That would be quite a legacy to leave behind.

I don't approve of ugly ads, but I do like to see the message getting spread around.