Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
I wasn’t really liking the idea of a 1200$ iphone 8 so I was thinking of switching to a note 8 when/if they released it... but that thing is ugly as ****. I’d rather pay the extra money for an iPhone 8.

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
The back of the device is an absolute travesty in design. The face of the device is also embarrassingly bad for two reasons:
A. They curved the corners of the display.......face>palm

B. They curved the edges of the display, placing curved glass over that edge. Netting them refraction and reflection which distort and distract from the imagery.

Other than these, it's pretty good

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
The back of the device is an absolute travesty in design. The face of the device is also embarrassingly bad for two reasons:
A. They curved the corners of the display.......face>palm

B. They curved the edges of the display, placing curved glass over that edge. Netting them refraction and reflection which distort and distract from the imagery.

Other than these, it's pretty good
That's something the iP8 will also feature, will it still be ugly when :apple: does it? ;)

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
That's something the iP8 will also feature, will it still be ugly when :apple: does it? ;)
The iPhone has curved display corners but guess what? Once again Apple does it the intelligent way by never lighting those pixels. You'll never see the rounded corners, they're merely so the display fits the device.

Sorry

Reactions: I7guy

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
The iPhone has curved display corners but guess what? Once again Apple does it the intelligent way by never lighting those pixels. You'll never see the rounded corners, they're merely so the display fits the device.

Sorry
No need to be sorry lol, as for not lighting the pixels into the corners, well we won't know until it's unveiled next month, all we have to go on so far are artists' impressions - might be they blend it in so all you see is an apparent 'bezel' of permanently dark screen at the top and bottom, but then that defeats the whole point of having an edge-to-edge screen doesn't it?

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
No need to be sorry lol, as for not lighting the pixels into the corners, well we won't know until it's unveiled next month, all we have to go on so far are artists' impressions - might be they blend it in so all you see is an apparent 'bezel' of permanently dark screen at the top and bottom, but then that defeats the whole point of having an edge-to-edge screen doesn't it?
It doesn't defeat the purpose if they use it like the Touchbar for example. Or during movie playback use most of it except corners.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
It doesn't defeat the purpose if they use it like the Touchbar for example. Or during movie playback use most of it except corners.
Well, if they use the extra space for a touch bar like feature that's still using it isn't it? You'd still need the pixels in the rounded corners to show something to interact with. Fitting a video (likely 16:9) onto a taller screen would likely exclude the extreme left and right (when held horizontally) of the screen anyway, so again, no benefit to changing how the screen is on current models.

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
Well, if they use the extra space for a touch bar like feature that's still using it isn't it? You'd still need the pixels in the rounded corners to show something to interact with. Fitting a video (likely 16:9) onto a taller screen would likely exclude the extreme left and right (when held horizontally) of the screen anyway, so again, no benefit to changing how the screen is on current models.
No, the pixels in the rounded corners would remain black.. within them would be normal icons/etc. not sure how much better I could explain it.

As for video, I was referring to movies which are well over 16:9. You would not get any black besides the specifically blacked out top and bottom to exclude content in rounded corners. Someone made a concept after I suggested to them how it could work to maximally use the screen for movies, and here it is:

IMG_3461.jpg

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
What don't you like about it? It's basically identical to the S8+ but with a dual-camera setup.

Everything. The black camera bar sticks out like a sore thumb. It doesn’t look like they put much though in to integrating it in to the phone at all. the phone looks to square on the corners and to long. I don’t like the chin and forehead. This last one might be unpopular but I actually don’t like the way the screen curves. I don’t like the idea of the image on the edge of the screen being distorted. I’m glad that although apple is curving the glass at the edges that they are not curving the display.

I also really dig that apples display has a non rectangle shape. I like that they molded the display around the sensor bar. I guess the note has rounded corners but it doesn’t look good because of the huge chin and forehead.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
I wasn’t really liking the idea of a 1200$ iphone 8 so I was thinking of switching to a note 8 when/if they released it... but that thing is ugly as ****. I’d rather pay the extra money for an iPhone 8.

I agree they really dropped the ball with the Note 8.

- smaller battery than the S8+
- 6.3" when my 6.2" S8+ is approaching the human Limit of BIG Phones which I love
- 2 Rear Cameras which look like a cheap plastic black bar
- literally a GIANT Phone with just 1 Speaker it Needs 2 Speakers they have plenty of room.
- They don't innovate or improve the Display it's OLED with HDR support but they don't make a big deal of it you know Apple will pattent a Phrase like Retina Color and pretend they invented OLED. (When they are really buying the bare displays from Samsung).

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

I kind of agree, and I'm a loyal Note fan, have owned every one since the Note 2. It's way too tall, I don't understand this kick everyone is on. The screen size really isn't larger just because it's longer, or is the next step having a 12x2 phone that is marketed as a 18" screen? The back is an atrocity, especially the fingerprint sensor placement.

But it still has it's appeal. That screen is huge, even if it's not a true 6.3" screen. The front is very sexy looking, although I'm far from a fan of the curved edges which IMO take away functionality.

It feels weird being the first year I haven't purchased the Note, but I'm just seeing too many trade offs this time around with a higher price tag.

Reactions: Oohara

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
When someone says the note 8 is ugly..I think a mental evaluation is necessary. That device is simply beautiful.
I'm sorry, but as an S8 owner and getting to see the Note 8 before everyone else in person, I wasn't impressed. It's a nice phone, but when I first saw the S8 in person, my jaw dropped. I wanted it no matter what. Maybe I got spoiled by the S8 and the Note 8 just isn't impressive to me.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
No, the pixels in the rounded corners would remain black.. within them would be normal icons/etc. not sure how much better I could explain it.

As for video, I was referring to movies which are well over 16:9. You would not get any black besides the specifically blacked out top and bottom to exclude content in rounded corners. Someone made a concept after I suggested to them how it could work to maximally use the screen for movies, and here it is:

View attachment 714323
No, I get what you're saying, black background with the icons being displayed over the top. But the point of the touch bar on MacBooks is that you swipe across to reveal more content, which pushes the icons to/over the edge of the display, ergo, at some point the pixels in the corners would be showing icons.

Well, for starters what >16:9 content? That's what it's released to consumers in, that's what most cameras, including iPhone shoot in, that's what most TVs are, that's going to be a very barren landscape for ages and ages. Secondly, to my eye that artist impression a) underestimates the radius of the corners and b) overshoots where the curve of the corners starts.

Another point I'd make is that, having owned oled phones in the past, black levels are good in most conditions, but by no means does the screen look like a perfect continuation of the dark glass bezel, in all but the dimmest lighting you can still tell where the screen edge is, so keeping the corners dark likely won't create a perfect illusion of continuity anyway (unless Samsung have developed much better panels in the couple of years since my last oled phone was released). That's to say nothing of if there's a white glass iPhone released.

Look I'm sure Apple will find a way of making it look stunning, but saying there's some material difference between how apple does it and how Samsung handles it is a bit of a stretch before we've seen the former, and asserting Apple will handle it in a certain way that validates your point on your personal preference is really scraping the barrel of credible discussion.

If you don't like the overall aesthetic of the S8, that I can understand, but when it's a specific feature across two models, trying to criticise one while making excuses for the other is just something I find odd. Each to their own though, hope what Apple releases next month makes you happy. :D

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The only overall design that impresses me at the moment is the Essential phone. It looks better than the Note 8 and the iPhone 8.

But I didn't pre-order the Note 8 for it's looks, although I think it looks good and has a professional look to it. I pre-ordered because of the dual cameras, Spen, and taller/wider screen.

One thing Samsung has a problem with is colors. Bring the freaking emerald green back!!! Why isn't gold available in the USA? That's the only color besides black that looks amazing with the black camera strip. Coral blue on the Note 7 was better than this deep blue they brought out, and orchid looks terrible this time around, especially an orchid Spen.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The only overall design that impresses me at the moment is the Essential phone. It looks better than the Note 8 and the iPhone 8.

But I didn't pre-order the Note 8 for it's looks, although I think it looks good and has a professional look to it. I pre-ordered because of the dual cameras, Spen, and taller/wider screen.

One thing Samsung has a problem with is colors. Bring the freaking emerald green back!!! Why isn't gold available in the USA? That's the only color besides black that looks amazing with the black camera strip. Coral blue on the Note 7 was better than this deep blue they brought out, and orchid looks terrible this time around, especially an orchid Spen.
^^^^ This^^^^ Bring all the colors to all regions

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I agree they really dropped the ball with the Note 8.

- smaller battery than the S8+
- 6.3" when my 6.2" S8+ is approaching the human Limit of BIG Phones which I love
- 2 Rear Cameras which look like a cheap plastic black bar
- literally a GIANT Phone with just 1 Speaker it Needs 2 Speakers they have plenty of room.
- They don't innovate or improve the Display it's OLED with HDR support but they don't make a big deal of it you know Apple will pattent a Phrase like Retina Color and pretend they invented OLED. (When they are really buying the bare displays from Samsung).
Apple (obviously) didn’t invent oled, but neither did Samsung. But what is wrong with Apple clinging a phrase as Samsung took a page from apples book and coined “infinity display”.

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
No, I get what you're saying, black background with the icons being displayed over the top. But the point of the touch bar on MacBooks is that you swipe across to reveal more content, which pushes the icons to/over the edge of the display, ergo, at some point the pixels in the corners would be showing icons.

Well, for starters what >16:9 content? That's what it's released to consumers in, that's what most cameras, including iPhone shoot in, that's what most TVs are, that's going to be a very barren landscape for ages and ages. Secondly, to my eye that artist impression a) underestimates the radius of the corners and b) overshoots where the curve of the corners starts.

Another point I'd make is that, having owned oled phones in the past, black levels are good in most conditions, but by no means does the screen look like a perfect continuation of the dark glass bezel, in all but the dimmest lighting you can still tell where the screen edge is, so keeping the corners dark likely won't create a perfect illusion of continuity anyway (unless Samsung have developed much better panels in the couple of years since my last oled phone was released). That's to say nothing of if there's a white glass iPhone released.

Look I'm sure Apple will find a way of making it look stunning, but saying there's some material difference between how apple does it and how Samsung handles it is a bit of a stretch before we've seen the former, and asserting Apple will handle it in a certain way that validates your point on your personal preference is really scraping the barrel of credible discussion.

If you don't like the overall aesthetic of the S8, that I can understand, but when it's a specific feature across two models, trying to criticise one while making excuses for the other is just something I find odd. Each to their own though, hope what Apple releases next month makes you happy. :D
I honestly skimmed over this and had no idea what you were talking about

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.