Ugly GUI in some elements on Snow Leopard. WTF?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kiensoy, Sep 10, 2009.

1. kiensoy macrumors newbie

Everybody likes everything design-related in Apple products/software but there are some things in Snow Leopard that make me think that it was either rushed or the graphic/GUI designers didn't pay too much attention.

When using the arrow keys in stacks you can see an ugly blue shadow that highlights the selected item. Blue? Why blue? It does not combine with the dock and looks awful with most wallpapers. Also they use a square for highlighting any of the icons, even the "open in finder" round icon with the arrow. They could have at least made this blue highlight follow the shape of the icon just like the shadow on the icons on the dock.

Also in exposé they use the same ugly blue for highlighting windows.

Maybe is because I am graphic designer but it really bothers me. I have seen they use a similar color in front row but it doesn't look back there because of the black background.

Okay, I am being picky.

2. kashkha macrumors member

I don't know about all that, but are anyone else's dock icon shadows a little off? It seems like they're a little smaller than the object, and shifted to the left.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

blue is the default highlight color isnt it? I know thats like system wide as I see it around this field as I type into it

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

You can adjust the color in the Appearance section of System Preferences.

I am not running SL, so I can't say for sure, but if the color bothers you, you can change it to a less annoying color.

5. kiensoy thread starter macrumors newbie

That is a very good point, though almost always the color is solid, maybe it looks ugly in the dock and expose since it is in a glow-style.

6. 1ofthedavids macrumors regular

You can also change the expose highlight color manually by editing the two png files associated with the highlight.

/System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources

expose-window-selection-big.png
    expose-window-selection-small.png

7. kashkha macrumors member

Comparing screenshots confirms this:

[​IMG]

vs

[​IMG]

8. amok-san macrumors newbie

Yeah!
    While I realize its kinda pointless to complain about these things here, I fxxxxxg hate the blue selection border strip thingys... While I love the top sites feature in Safari 4, these awful blue borders I just loathe... What´s going on at Apple´s? They used to be so ahead in terms of style...
    :apple: = :confused:

9. kiensoy thread starter macrumors newbie

This seems to only affect text highlighting.

10. kiensoy thread starter macrumors newbie

F*cking EXCELLENT! Thanks a lot! :D

I will replace the color and post some screenshots. Would you happen to know what is the file for the selection of items on fan stacks?