ugly interlacing problem in FCP

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Luis Ortega, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

I am working on a stop-motion animation done with a digital camera and also have a couple of live action clips filmed with a dv camcorder.
    I rendered the stop-motion shots into QT mov files in FCP using animation as the compression and then brought them into the project timeline and added some of the live footage as well.
    The problem is that when I preview the timeline (or scrub it) the clips created from the digital camera shots look fine but the clips from the live footage have that ugly interlacing effect where the edges of the moving elements break up into little horizontal lines. Even if I render the timeline to a QT movie, the problem persists.
    I also tried rendering the live footage on its own with de-interlace footage ticked, but that just made it look rougher.
    Can anyone suggest how to get the live footage to look as clean as the clips created from the digital stills?
    Thanks for any advice.

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

how does it look when you play it back on a TV?

you can never judge quality by looking at the FCP canvas.

3. MrLatte23 macrumors regular

Check your sequence settings...

Compare it in the bin to the footage in question. Could be something simple as the difference between 720 X 480 and 720 X 486. Also sometimes DV footage gets a free "Shift Fields" filter, that you might not know is there. Lastly check the Field Dominance of the clips and the sequence.

Could be one or all three of the above.

4. Luis Ortega thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your advice.
    If the field dominance is different between the clips, is it possible to change that?
    I don't think that there are pixel differences between the two clips, because the stop motion shots done with a digital camera were resized in Photoshop to be 720 x 576 while the live footage was filmed in PAL DV, which is also 720 x 576.
    Where can I see if there is that shift fields filter applied to a clip or not?

5. MrLatte23 macrumors regular

You can change the field dominance of clips with a Shift Fields Filter from the Effects palette and can check them on the filters tab of a clip open in the viewer. Sequence Field Dominance can be changed in Sequence Settings.