Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wierd Al

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
Well I am from the Notebookreview forums and some of my colleagues said that I should post on these forums to get apples attention. Anyway I would also like to here your response and ideas as well.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
1. Apple employees are not allowed to visit forums related to Apple or it's products.

2. The MBP is thee sweetest looking notebook out there. Period.

masse

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2007
MA/GA
No, he's right. I want a redesign....if they can find something to improve on it. Nothing comes to mind I think it looks perfect.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
I don't like changes for the sake of changing something. What's wrong with MBP design? I can only think of adding magnetic latch mechanism and even that's because I would want to get rid of those few holes on the case :)

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
while not ugly, things could stand some improving. bring in things like a magnetic latch, user-replaceable hard drive, macbook-style keyboard.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
I won't be that sure... They are monitoring all big Mac forums.

sash

i think he meant to say that apple employees aren't allowed to be members of these online communities, contributing, posting and the like. i'm sure they monitor and read, but they don't participate.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Fact is, they look amazing. Even with the latch, I would buy one if I could afford it!

MrT8064

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
UK
I really dont like the Mac Book keyboard, i think the keys are too hard to press, i like the soft pressing of my MacBook Pro

As for design, i think it could be improved, while it still is the coolest notebook out there... it is a 2 year old design (and even that was taken from a PowerBook)

i think if apple could make it even thinner... even less space around the screen... a multi-touch trackpad... and... totally made of glass!!

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
I agree that a move to a magnetic latch to get rid of the superfluous case holes would be good.

I think they could change the keyboard too: Imagine the new Bluetooth keyboard with a rechargeable battery, the section at the back that currently houses the batteries would sit into a groove between the screen hinges of the MBP, and the keyboard itself would fit neatly into a recess on the MBP case held in place by magnets.

This would allow the user to use the traditional notebook layout when 'on-the-move' and then when sat at a desk popout the BT keyboard and sit the MBP in one of those stands that brings the screen to a more comfortable height.

On the 15&17" models you could continue the perforated alu across the space under the where the keyboard sat to aid cooling and on the 12/13" model the same, but obviously the speakers wouldn't be located to the sides anyway.

Another option would be to add something extra under the keyboard, maybe a space to store the IR remote or spare change.

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
As for design, i think it could be improved, while it still is the coolest notebook out there... it is a 2 year old design (and even that was taken from a PowerBook)

I agree with this. My son has a 3 year old PowerBook and a newer (Aug '07) MBP and when they're side by side, I can't tell the difference at a glance.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
I dont see why everyone hates the latch so much. It works fine.

The Macbook style keyboard sucks.

The only thing I would like is a user replaceable hard drive.

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
The design is fine right now, theres not really any need for a change at all, except for maybe an upgraded iSight camera.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Totally new design? Maybe not... but I agree that it would do well with the MacBook's magnetic latch, let it keep the keyboard... larger trackpad, maybe let it have an expresscard stored, rechargeable bluetooth remote. I realize that Apple probably likes that six of its product lines can all use the same remote, but a little bit of differentiation would be nice.

Upgraded iSight would be another nice touch, it is getting a little outdated.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
user replaceable hard drive.

That's MORE than well over due. Having the 'consumer' product have an HDD swop in less than 5 minutes, but the 'pro' product have it be, technically, something you have to go and have done is nuts. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't charge more to upgrade to a 250g drive than a 250g drive costs brand new.

Doug

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
1. Apple employees are not allowed to visit forums related to Apple or it's products.

2. The MBP is thee sweetest looking notebook out there. Period.

Agree with #2.

As to #1. They can visit forums, but for the most, they cannot use any information from unofficial sources.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
For anyone who is saying something about the latch. Have you seen a Pc laptop lately? Many PCs still have non-retractable latches that can get caught on a loose piece of clothing!

COMPARABLE pc laptops (in terms of power and features) are almost always THICKER than MBP. No, you cannot compare a 1.2mhz mini laptop to a Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz MBP.

In addition, PC laptops usually have loud fans, useless lights, different keyboard layout even for laptops made by same manufacturer.

Also, it's official... MBP has BOTH power and looks.
https://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/04/get-a-mac-ads-misprint-boxer/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.