Ugly MBP???? Time for a redesign?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wierd Al, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Wierd Al macrumors newbie

Wierd Al

Well I am from the Notebookreview forums and some of my colleagues said that I should post on these forums to get apples attention. Anyway I would also like to here your response and ideas as well.

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

1. Apple employees are not allowed to visit forums related to Apple or it's products.

2. The MBP is thee sweetest looking notebook out there. Period.

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I agree, the MacBook Pro is far from being ugly. I find the styling very attractive and functional. :) :apple:

4. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

5. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

No, he's right. I want a redesign....if they can find something to improve on it. Nothing comes to mind I think it looks perfect.

6. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

I don't like changes for the sake of changing something. What's wrong with MBP design? I can only think of adding magnetic latch mechanism and even that's because I would want to get rid of those few holes on the case :)

7. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

while not ugly, things could stand some improving. bring in things like a magnetic latch, user-replaceable hard drive, macbook-style keyboard.

8. djellison macrumors 68020

The look of the thing is fine. The mechanics of the design are flawed (latch, hinge) .

Doug

9. Maldini macrumors regular

Maldini

How can you say its ugly? :eek: i just bought one and its sweet :D:D

10. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

I won't be that sure... They are monitoring all big Mac forums.

sash

11. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i think he meant to say that apple employees aren't allowed to be members of these online communities, contributing, posting and the like. i'm sure they monitor and read, but they don't participate.

12. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Fact is, they look amazing. Even with the latch, I would buy one if I could afford it!

13. Halsey12 macrumors regular

14. skuzzy macrumors member

That is all.

15. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

I really dont like the Mac Book keyboard, i think the keys are too hard to press, i like the soft pressing of my MacBook Pro

As for design, i think it could be improved, while it still is the coolest notebook out there... it is a 2 year old design (and even that was taken from a PowerBook)

i think if apple could make it even thinner... even less space around the screen... a multi-touch trackpad... and... totally made of glass!!

16. mpw Guest

I agree that a move to a magnetic latch to get rid of the superfluous case holes would be good.

I think they could change the keyboard too: Imagine the new Bluetooth keyboard with a rechargeable battery, the section at the back that currently houses the batteries would sit into a groove between the screen hinges of the MBP, and the keyboard itself would fit neatly into a recess on the MBP case held in place by magnets.

This would allow the user to use the traditional notebook layout when 'on-the-move' and then when sat at a desk popout the BT keyboard and sit the MBP in one of those stands that brings the screen to a more comfortable height.

On the 15&17" models you could continue the perforated alu across the space under the where the keyboard sat to aid cooling and on the 12/13" model the same, but obviously the speakers wouldn't be located to the sides anyway.

Another option would be to add something extra under the keyboard, maybe a space to store the IR remote or spare change.

17. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I agree with this. My son has a 3 year old PowerBook and a newer (Aug '07) MBP and when they're side by side, I can't tell the difference at a glance.

18. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

19. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I dont see why everyone hates the latch so much. It works fine.

The Macbook style keyboard sucks.

The only thing I would like is a user replaceable hard drive.

20. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

Dear Lord, please tell me you're not on the Apple board!

21. TimJim macrumors 6502a

The design is fine right now, theres not really any need for a change at all, except for maybe an upgraded iSight camera.

22. TheStu macrumors 65816

Totally new design? Maybe not... but I agree that it would do well with the MacBook's magnetic latch, let it keep the keyboard... larger trackpad, maybe let it have an expresscard stored, rechargeable bluetooth remote. I realize that Apple probably likes that six of its product lines can all use the same remote, but a little bit of differentiation would be nice.

Upgraded iSight would be another nice touch, it is getting a little outdated.

23. djellison macrumors 68020

That's MORE than well over due. Having the 'consumer' product have an HDD swop in less than 5 minutes, but the 'pro' product have it be, technically, something you have to go and have done is nuts. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't charge more to upgrade to a 250g drive than a 250g drive costs brand new.

Doug

24. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Agree with #2.

As to #1. They can visit forums, but for the most, they cannot use any information from unofficial sources.

25. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

For anyone who is saying something about the latch. Have you seen a Pc laptop lately? Many PCs still have non-retractable latches that can get caught on a loose piece of clothing!

COMPARABLE pc laptops (in terms of power and features) are almost always THICKER than MBP. No, you cannot compare a 1.2mhz mini laptop to a Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz MBP.

In addition, PC laptops usually have loud fans, useless lights, different keyboard layout even for laptops made by same manufacturer.

Also, it's official... MBP has BOTH power and looks.
    http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/04/get-a-mac-ads-misprint-boxer/