Ugly night for weather

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bruinsrme, Dec 11, 2008.

1. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Living in the Worcester MA area we re experiencing a wicked ice storm.

Trees and power lines are dramatically sagging due to the weight of the ice build up.
    All night long we have been listening to trees cracking and the house shaking from the falls. One one side of the house we have 60 to 80 foot pine trees.
    Oh yeah the branches are snapping like tooth picks.

I can't imagine what it looks like back there.

Anyone else out there enjoying the same storm?

2. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I think I'm getting some of the same system, although not as bad. It's rained here for the past two days and this evening it turned over to freezing rain, then snow. Someone came to our front door (while we were watching CSI, no less) and needed to use the phone because a tree had fallen in the road.

Oh it'll be fun going to work at 8:30 in the morning!

3. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

We're facing a weekend of snow here in the valleys of oregon. Brrrr - but still nice to play in.

4. bruinsrme thread starter macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Just heard 4 explosions from power transformers.
    I hope we don't loose power.

5. SlasherDuff macrumors 6502a

SlasherDuff

Thinking this might be from the same system, it's super windy here in Florida, rainy and cold. Some tornadoes popped up in other parts of the state as well. It's quite nasty out there

6. shecky Guest

shecky

i am in providence and we are just getting cold rain for the moment. perfect night to go up the street for some yummy, warming, comforting Chicken Korma at our local Indian place. :)

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Driving to school was fun this morning. There was almost a huge accident in front of me on 295, underneath the 116 overpass, due to a large puddle that spanned all three lanes. I was about 1/4 mi from it when I saw quite a few brake lights through the spray. Someone in a Cobalt ended up in the median, which is pretty low right there.
    Lots of puddles on Ridge Rd/Smithfield Rd, and there was a huge one on the approach to this intersection. I got a running start for that one, and managed to get water even onto my hood. :D

8. JTTech macrumors member

JTTech

I'm traveling back to MA pretty soon - lets hope for some nicer weather and No nor'easters!

9. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

We get a few of those every year here in NC. Very eerie. You hear a shotgun like sound in the absolute quiet when a fairly large tree snaps, then see the aura of ozone. Then the lights flash and wham... darkness.

Ice storms scare the hell outta me.

10. spazattack674 macrumors regular

I'm right near Andover, MA, and we're having the same issue. I guess National Grid is reporting around 290,000 customers without power. Luckily, we're at a relative's house that does have power, because ours doesn't, and hasn't since around midnight last night. Governor Patrick says that it would be optimistic to think that power would be restored by Monday. So, we'll see how it goes, luckily no one we know has any injury or property damage.

11. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Worcester MA here... Took the train home from school in Boston... My neighborhood is inaccessible. Massive trees are across main access roads. National Guard has been mobilized. Needed 4WD at least three times on a 4 mile drive to cross mud or branches.

Pictures tomorrow. It looks like a tornado went through here. See a story here

(Posting from my grandmother's house on the southern side of the city, where it was just heavy rain.)

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Someone just sent me some pretty crazy pics from the NH area. My goodness! I cannot imagine being in this at all. Scary!

I hope everyone is ok and that it passes soon. How long do ice storms usually last for?

13. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Used to live in Worcester until a couple of years ago. My friend who still lives there called me today to tell me they had no power.

14. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

With 1.2 million with no power ow in the northeast, my guess is the OP is offline now.

15. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

I'm also in Worcester. One of the dorms in my school lost power. Lots of ice-covered branches fell down around the area. Luckily, my apartment was fine.

16. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

17. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Some quick shots from my neighborhood: click here

All taken at night, long exposure.

Will be around tomorrow snapping some more.

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Amazing shots and my goodness! I've never seen an ice storm in person but dang!

19. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

is it wrong that I kinda WANT some bad weather?

20. spazattack674 macrumors regular

yes. believe me. its horrible not having power. I've been at my grandmother's house since Friday morning because its 20 degrees out and because there's not power at my house (or anyone's in my area), we had to go there. Just checked national grid's website, and they say that the power will be restored to my house at "5:16 PM" tomorrow afternoon. So, I guess that's something to look forward to :rolleyes:

21. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I've had 7 cars in my driveway all weekend because my friends don't have power / heat / water - and it's 17F outside right now.

We were lucky, and power was back on within hours after losing it. (we rigged my furnace to run off of a car battery - and 6 minutes after that, the power turned back on!) My parents place JUST got power after almost 48 hours in darkness. (man it was COLD out there) My roomies folks place also dark. Trees and power lines were down everywhere, many roads were impassable. My sisters town was just declared a disaster area and has the National Guard rolling in. (also - she was told not to expect power for 2 weeks!)

Had to cut trees and re-attach power lines myself! (at the parents house) because nobody could do it in the next few days. :eek:

I order a pizza tonight, drive down there - drive straight past the place (b/c no lights) - turn around - and see them on with miner-style headlamps, and dying flashlights - cooking pizzas! (gas, but no power!) They were troopers. I tipped well. :D

Pics, FTW!

Attached Files:

22. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Where in NC are you? Here in Chapel Hill, we get a really good storm every 2 years or so, if you're talking about ice. Some years it snows, some years it doesn't all that much.

Two storms I remember-

2000 - Our house on the outskirts of Chapel Hill got 29 inches of snow. Temps stayed below 30 during the day for like 5 days. No power for a week. My entire family caught the flu - first my sister who was 2 at the time, then 5-year-old me, then mom then dad, so we were all sick and it really sucked.

2002 - an inch of freezing rain, plus some snow and sleet. I remember I had a game to break ice off trees and have ice fights with my friends... who bunked at my house because we miraculously got power back after two days.

Over by Friday morning. They usually last a day or so.

23. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Some more pictures: here and here.

Things like this, for miles upon miles:
    [​IMG]

24. jizwood1 macrumors member

I really don't like those heavy snow storm. Terrible indeed.

25. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

That's the crazy aspect of this storm. How widespread it was. My pics were only of my parents place, and my friends parents. But it was everywhere.

I still have guests b/c they still have no heat / power @ home.