UGO can go to hell

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by bobber205, Jan 6, 2009.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

(these a$$holes)

My god. They bought 1up.com and fired pretty much everyone.

I've never heard of UGO before this but god I hate them. :mad:

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

1up yours was trash anyhow, right up there with kraptaku and the other trash sites for gamers.

3. MacTraveller macrumors regular

They must be from the country formerly known as UGOslavia.

4. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I didn't like 1up. The only reason I registered with their site, is because they hired an old friend, someone I worked with back in 96 and 97.

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Edit: I'm removing my post because I feel bad about what happen to the crew at 1up but I still think the site was garbage just like the majority of game blogs & sites.

Hopefully UGO won't do the site how G4 did to TechTV and mess it up completely.

Bless

6. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

1UP Yours was the best video game podcast and complimented with the 1UP Show. I won't be going to UGO, thats for sure.

7. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I know, it sucks, 1up Yours was a really good podcast. First GFW Radio dies and now this. And no more retronauts? Weakness.

And its cold of you few who don't like 1up/EGM. Lots of people just lost their jobs you know.

8. XianPalin macrumors 6502

XianPalin

Yeah, I came to GFW pretty late in the game and it wasn't around too long after I started listening to it. I haven't found a podcast that compares.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't know what GFW was, what UGO is and never visited 1up. :eek:

10. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

I heard a while ago that Ziff Davis (the previous owners) were having a lot of financial problems. It might be better that UGO bought 1up rather than them going into administration.

11. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Well the thing is that if UGO didn't buy 1up, then it would have went out of business along with EGM, etc. anyways. BUT. The fact that they canned so much of the senior staff is pretty crappy.

I remember reading EGM as a kid when there wasn't much else for gaming stuff aside from GamePro and Nintendo Power. Good memories and it's sad to see it wither away into a 90 page husk due to the lack of advertisers needed to pay the bills.

12. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

1up would've gone under without UGO, as they were losing money. UGO took the business procedures needed to get the business alive, cutting staff and getting rid of podcasts and other things.

13. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I remember 1up as being sorta trash for Middle-school to twenty somethings.

UGO it seems sorta 20+ with the corporate thing going, and it's part of Hearst Corp. (William Randolph Hearst).

Looked at UGO briefly - seems average. I've always used ign.com.

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

It's unfortunate that EGM closed up shop and so many people at 1up got let go. Getting pissed at UGO is a bit of a knee jerk reaction though. It wouldn't make business sense for UGO to buy 1up and keep all the staff if that means there are a lot of redundant positions created and personal conflicts. The writing has been on the wall at EGM and Ziff-Davis for a while now so I doubt anyone there is surprised to be out of a job.

Lethal

15. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

A bunch of now ex-ZIFFers started a new podcast "Rebel FM" if you wanna hear more about what went down. Sutter, Chuf, Phil, 1up Show guys, etc.