ugraded ram now have slow bootup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wildfire070, Jul 11, 2010.

1. wildfire070 macrumors newbie

I've got an '09 macbook pro 2.26 ghz intel core 2 duo originally with 2x 1gb 1067 mhz ddr3 ram and when I upgraded to 2x 2gb 1067 mhz ddr3 ram the bootup time takes longer.

I ran geekbench tests and the 2gb kit scores higher than the 4gb kit.

My macbook recognizes the 4gb ok so what could be wrong?

Did I end up getting a dud somehow and need to exchange for another set?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Try repairing permissions with Disk Utility and reseting SMC and PRAM. Also, select your OS X volume to be the number one startup volume from Sys Prefs -> Startup Disk. Was the GeekBench score noticeably slower or just minimally?

3. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

I think the only thing you need to do is restart the osx starup disk uner startup disk in system preferences. Geekbench is only a synthetic benchmark, and will always vary in score from time to time-- sometimes as much as 200-300 points.

4. warrena macrumors member

warrena

Memory is probably OK but you could reboot and press F2 (I think your machine is new enough to do this) and run the hardware diagnostic to test or if that does not work, use the Diag CD to boot to test the memory. Agree with making sure the boot drive is selected, makes a big difference in boot time.

5. wildfire070 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I'll try all those suggestions and see if it improves the boot up time.

There wasn't a huge difference in the geekbench scores, maybe ~100-200.