Uh... electrical current I can feel partially?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ravich, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Ravich macrumors 6502a

Step 1: put socked foot lightly on the top of Mac Pro (the handle part)
    Step 2: touch thumb to Macbook Pro (the button that opens it when it is closed)
    Step 3: feel clear tingling/buzzing (almost uncomfortable but not painful) in thumb

Is this normal? Is that supposed to happen?

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

3. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

You mean use the 3 prong adapter/attachment? I am. It doesnt happen when the MBP isnt connected to the charger.

4. T-bag Guest

Make sure your wall socket isn't one of those ancient ungrounded ones.

5. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. Bloomg macrumors newbie

Hello , this is interesting , i had this problem with my imac , sometimes the keyboard would feel weird .

Then i bought some high end headphones and while they worked great on the xbox when i plugged them to my pc or imac they would make a buzzing sound , if i touched one of the metal parts in the mixer of the headphones the buzzing would stop .

I had my wiring checked and they ground wiring got fixed .

Anyway i know alot of people with this problem , and i never know exactly what's the best way for them to fix it , some people say you need to ground the whole house , others just one outlet and it will apply to the rest of the house .

Wich is the better way of dealing with this ? full rewiring ? just one outlet ? something else ?

Cheers

7. T-bag Guest

I don't know how to see it. In my country all newer houses must have them, and old houses must be properly grounded (I think).

8. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

Something rather important that might be related

I have 2 outlets (or groups of outlets, whatever) in my room. The one that is currently sporting the power strip that houses the Macbook Pro charger used to have my UPS plugged into it. Occasionally my UPS would buzz for 30 seconds to a minute and then stop, then pick up again. This would come through on the speakers that were powered by the UPS.

The other day I looked behind my bed and found the other outlets, and tried switching my UPS to one of them. Buzzing hasnt happened at all since then.

Guess I've found the problem?

9. Bloomg macrumors newbie

Try connecting the macbook to one of those and if it doesn't happen anymore then probably problem fixed ;)