Uh, My Mac has a trojan?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SouthPark, Sep 28, 2009.

1. SouthPark macrumors newbie

My Mac has Boot Camp and while on XP, I encountered a "trojan horse JK" through a notification from AVG. I couldn't delete it, and after a minute later, my Mac, while on Windows crashed. Then after being on the, "Windows is shutting down screen" for minutes longer than it should, my Mac restarted, and as soon as I heard the boot up noise, I shut it off, and unplugged it. Any recommendations/advice for what I should do? Is my Mac "done"? Is my Mac half fine, and my Windows not?

2. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Backup all your windows files and delete your windows partition then set up a new one. Your Mac side should be just fine.

3. SouthPark thread starter macrumors newbie

@Bigjnyc, Thanks for the post. I'll go do that now and see what happens.

4. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Its impossible for a virus or trojan to damage your computer, and a virus/trojan in Windows is not going to affect OS X.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Dude seriously, the guy has an issue ... is it possible to maybe just refrain for once? :rolleyes:

SouthPark, in addition to backing up your files, be sure to scan those backups before putting them back on. You never know what could have been infected.

6. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

While you boot up, hold down the option key and choose your Mac OS X disk. Your Mac OS X partition should be unharmed.

I also believe you can hold down the "x" key during startup to boot into OS X.

7. SouthPark thread starter macrumors newbie

I heard that a Mac can get viruses from sharing the HD with Windows. That said that when the whole Conficker thing was frightening people. w/e. My Mac is fine and as a whole again.
    @ Jessica Couldn't back it up because XP wouldn't work.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

At the present time, Mac OS X can't get viruses, because none exist that run on Mac OS X. You can get a trojan, but you would have to actively install it, entering your admin password. No program that runs on Windows would also run on Mac OS X. Impossible. Conficker is a worm that targets Windows. It cannot run on Mac OS X.

9. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

Yet another reason why I will never put Windows on my mac, in any form.

10. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Your Mac OS X partition is fine. Windows cannot write files to your Mac formatted partition and Mac OS X cannot write files to your Windows formatted partition.

Don't worry. Your Mac is perfectly fine... however, the PC side of your Mac may be in trouble.

That's what you get for running Windows on your Mac ;)

11. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I would try installing and running a complete scan with SuperAntiSpyware on the Windows side in Safe Mode with Networking Enabled (to install the latest definitions update). I've wiped out some really nasty viruses, fake anti-virus scanners and trojans with this program.

Afterward SuperAntiSpyware can be uninstalled. If you want to try a different daily anti-virus. I would go with Avast Home Edition just register once a year, it is free they just require yearly activation. I have had no spam problems giving them my e-mail address. I always recommend this to my customers over the paid anti-virus programs.

As others have said your Mac side will be fine.

12. SouthPark thread starter macrumors newbie

Honestly, I tried to get programs on this computer, (A Vista) and use a flash drive and stuff, but every program I tried to get, was a threat, according to AVG.

13. eatbacon macrumors regular

Not true.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This is irrelevant, since no Windows virus/trojan/worm/malware can run in Mac OS X, anyway.

15. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Well, I can't even see my Mac volume in Windows and I can't copy or modify files from the Windows partition in Mac OS X.

Please provide proof (that doesn't require installing third party apps that enable that ability).

16. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Partially correct. With Boot Camp you should not be able to WRITE files between the OS's although you can definitely read them.

With VMWare Fusion if you turn on Fuse 3G then you will definitely be able to write files between the two OS's and can have serious issues if the PC side becomes infected with a virus/trojan/etc.

17. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

By default.. the Windows partition can't write files to the Mac partition or remove files from it.

18. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Sorry for your woes.

Don't fight it - I've been there. Get any data you need off that windows partition and just nuke the damn thing. Start over. I run Windows XP under Parallels and keep a fresh copy of the virtual machine on a DVD (under 2GB's) just in case.

I sure as hell don't miss this at all.

19. eatbacon macrumors regular

You stated that neither OS could write to the other partition. When I was using bootcamp, I certainly could write from OS X to the windows partition (FAT32 at least)... hence my declaration that your statement was untrue. I should have only quoted the second part.

Ability to write to the other partitions may or may not be relevant (if malware can write, it can certainly do harm even if it can't run in that OS... although this direction causes no harm), but I wasn't claiming to answer the original post. I just objected to the propagation of false information.

20. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Could you write from your Windows to Mac OS X while in Boot Camp? Apple must have changed Boot Camp in Snow Leopard then, because I used to not even SEE my Mac Partition while running in Windows.