Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solaris7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
Hi guys,
So I have been wanting to buy an ipad for a while now for my sister, I initially thought 16GB would be enough and placed an order at the online apple store. Turns out, I am regretting the decision since high-quality apps seems to be taking up more and more space. So, I decided to cancel the order and place an order for the 32GB one, turns out that since my item is already prepared for shipment I cannot cancel it!!!!
Now I have to take the long and dangerous road of returning it back to apple. Have you guys had any experience with this? Should I be on the safe side and 2 day ship the ipad back to apple using fedex? or use USPS and hope it gets back to apple? How long does this whole process take?

ANY help would be appreciated...

unixfool

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2006
East Coast
Hi guys,
So I have been wanting to buy an ipad for a while now for my sister, I initially thought 16GB would be enough and placed an order at the online apple store. Turns out, I am regretting the decision since high-quality apps seems to be taking up more and more space. So, I decided to cancel the order and place an order for the 32GB one, turns out that since my item is already prepared for shipment I cannot cancel it!!!!
Now I have to take the long and dangerous road of returning it back to apple. Have you guys had any experience with this? Should I be on the safe side and 2 day ship the ipad back to apple using fedex? or use USPS and hope it gets back to apple? How long does this whole process take?

ANY help would be appreciated...

Either method of shipping back should be fine, as long as you insure the package, IMO.

BTW, your thread title is a bit misleading.

solaris7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
After some searching, I found out that a few people returned their product (purchased online) directly to the apple store. is it possible? If it is, this method is way better!

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
Turns out, I am regretting the decision since high-quality apps seems to be taking up more and more space.

It's hard to imagine that the size of apps would be the reason to return a 16 GB iPad. I have a pretty good collection of apps, including some large marine navigation apps, and their total size is less than 2GB. Usually, the need for the larger sizes is driven by the desire to have lots of movies and music on the iPad.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Wouldn't the simplest thing be to refuse delivery? In any case, call Apple and ask what you should do. Any business that sells products online have procedures in place for customers who want to return merchandise. They should take care of everything, or give you clear instructions on what to do.

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Refuse delivery OR call the company that ships your iPad and ask to do a "Return to sender" (Even if it ships from China the "return to address" is in the USA

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
Yeah, just refuse delivery. That way, if there was any shipping charges, those get refunded as well.

16GB should be fine. I have the 32GB model. I have several pages worth of apps on mine, as well as almost 1,000 songs at around 11MB per song, and I still have to use several HD videos to fill up the remaining space.

mgg

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2010
I recently double-ordered something in error and couldn't cancel because the orders were already being processed. I called Apple, and they emailed me a return Fedex shipping label (at their cost). When the duplicate item got here, I shipped it back, and had my money refunded within a few days.

Your situation sounds similar to mine. I would just call them and explain the circumstances; I'm sure they'd take care of things for you, especially if you've already ordered the 32GB iPad.

Everything turned out great for me. My only complaint would be the wait time before I reached a customer service rep -- but he was nice, spoke English, and understood what I was saying...so the wait was well worth it.

SidBala

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
BTW, your thread title is a bit misleading.

Haha. Were you expecting to see some good old anti-iPad vs pro-iPad forum battle? Yeah me too. What a let-down!

OP: You should call up Apple and explain the situation. After all, you are upgrading to a 32GB.

ayres

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2010
Bring the 16gb boxed and sealed with receipt to an Apple store and ask for an exchange. They'll do it.

x2...

apple customer service has proven to be very flexible. i'd be shocked it they refused the refund/exchange in-store.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
I order a lot of Apple laptops and other items, using the Apple online store for 80% of it. I've changed my mind after it shipped and have found through experience the very best way to return it, is simply wait till it arrives. The minute you have it in hand do _NOT_ open the package. Call Apple immediately, they will issue you a return authorization, a prepaid shipping label (email) and then it's simply a matter of dropping it off at FedEX. Now you have a tracking number to follow your return, Apple will issue a credit immediately upon their reciept, and the bottom line is you will get your money back very quickly. I have nothing but good things to say about Apple's customer service.

NOTE: Do _NOT_ refuse the package, and here is why.

If you do that, you will have no way to track it's return. You will be extending the amount of time it takes to receive your credit for your purchase by at least two or more weeks, because it will not ship back the fastest way. It will go ground and you will wait and wait and wait until Apple receives it and credits you.

If you follow the procedure I've outlined you will find that Apple is the very best and easy to use. As far as returning it to a store, I've not tried that, but trust that if others here say that's possible then you have an even easier way to accomplish what you wish to do.

Cheers... :)

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
1) Did you ask if it was OK to refuse delivery? If they are OK w/ it that is the best and least expensive way to go. Some companies like Amazon love it when you refuse a package b/c the know it's untouched. Other companies don't like it b/c there return system is based on RMA#.

2) If they don't want you to refuse ship it FedEx Ground w/ Signature. If you insure it for $500 that is automatic. This is the least expensive secure-ish way to get your package back to Apple. Any FedEx Office/Kinkos can help you. It's a little less expensive than UPS, and obviously much less than any air service. Whatever you do don't ship w/ USPS.

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
1) Wait for the iPad to arrive.
2) Take it to the Apple Store sealed. (No need to book an appointment - I didn't)
3) Tell on of the Apple people that you want to return it - if they say no, then ask a old person or the manager because I returned my iPad within the first 14 days (GPS not working) and they refunded it immediately.
4) Once you've got a refund, order the 32gb or buy it in store.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
1) Wait for the iPad to arrive.
2) Take it to the Apple Store sealed. (No need to book an appointment - I didn't)
3) Tell on of the Apple people that you want to return it - if they say no, then ask a old person or the manager because I returned my iPad within the first 14 days (GPS not working) and they refunded it immediately.
4) Once you've got a refund, order the 32gb or buy it in store.

Getting a refund for a defective product is different than getting a refund for a brand new, unopened product.

Apple's online refund and return policy is here. Solaris - just use a shipping method with tracking that you're comfortable with. I returned an iPhone ordered online last year and it took maybe 7 days for my refund to be processed. It's a fairly painless process.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
If you do that, you will have no way to track it's return. You will be extending the amount of time it takes to receive your credit for your purchase by at least two or more weeks, because it will not ship back the fastest way. It will go ground and you will wait and wait and wait until Apple receives it and credits you.
I don't know how it works with FedEX, but with UPS if you refuse a package you can continue to track it using the original tracking number and see when the return gets delivered. I would think that FedEX would be the same. I have refused UPS shipments and been refunded very quickly. However, in this case it is probably better to do as you stated (get a prepaid shipping label) or simply return it to a physical Apple store.

tripjammer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
16Gb would work...but 32gig is the sweet spot for app storage on iOS devices.

Get the 32gig Ipad and be happy. Return the 16GB Ipad at the apple store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.