uh oh battery problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tecknical, Jul 25, 2008.

1. tecknical macrumors regular

alright so i got my macbook pro on monday and i've been playing around with it and its a pretty nice machine. i went to work today and left it on sleep mode and when i got home the battery said its 95% full....but its been plugged in all day and the status is charged but its still only 95% full. I havent done the battery calibration thing, so can that be the cause its showing 95%?

2. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Its normal...read up on it here--->http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1909 I think you mean this right?

3. tecknical thread starter macrumors regular

hehe well thank you for that. i was getting a bit worried :eek:

4. Variant macrumors 6502

Variant

I don't really want to start a new battery problem topic right now, so I'm just going to ask here... and yes, I searched...

Lately, my almost 1 year old MBP's battery has been lasting only around 30 minutes! This is during simple web surfing. Just 6 months ago, I could watch a whole DVD without worrying about the battery! Sometimes it will just turn off (not going into sleep mode) without the warning message.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

5. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

It's normal, unplug it and it should start charging again after it gets below 95%.

6. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Have you done a recent re-calibration on the battery?

Have you tried resetting the SMC?

I would do both of those.

If after doing that you see no improvement, call AppleCare. They should replace the battery at no charge to you.

7. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

You may want to do this before your one-year purchase anniversary. Apple will replace it without hassle before that magical date but after, it will be a bit more difficult unless for a recall.

8. Variant macrumors 6502

Variant

Currently going through the (long) process. Would a reset actually be able to fix a problem as drastic as mine?

9. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

The re-calibration should help the battery. The SMC reset, resets the System Management Controller (responsible for many things hardware related and manages your power) and put's in "in sync" with the battery sensors.