Uh OH! Macbook Pro 2011 15inch High Res Anti Glare Screen Issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by techfest, Feb 19, 2012.

1. techfest, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012

techfest macrumors member

i think its called light bleed or something but i dont think i have ever seen it like this before :(

my macbook is 6 months old and was hoping ti stay flawless for alot longer

i dont have a apple store nearby to take it too so im resorting it to ask u guys what the issue is and if there is anything i could do.

THANKS!!!

****the white dot is the mouse****

Attached Files:

2. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I don't get what the problem exactly is...
    Does the plus remain on screen all the time?
    Is it the uneven backlighting?

3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Tell Apple that the backlight bleed is bad enough to make you uncomfortable and that it interferes with your work and your ability to enjoy using the machine, they will probably give you a replacement.

4. techfest thread starter macrumors member

uh its the light leak on the sides?

the plus is from the program preview. i opened an all black image to show this????

----------

like replace the whole computer?

5. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

OK, then Apple would either replace only the display, which is unlikely, or replace the entire laptop.

6. techfest thread starter macrumors member

how else would they fix it if its a display issue? lol

7. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Making you pay for the repair.
    This is a manufacturing defect and should be covered by AppleCare.

8. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Most MBPs leak some amount of light from the bottom and sides of the screen. If your screen leaks too much, and affects your everyday use of the laptop, you have to contact Apple. Since your machine is still under warranty, Apple will repair or replace it for free.

Note:
    Would you say that the screen suddenly got worse, after six month? Or is it just the first time that you looked at a dark background in a dark room?
    If it doesn't affect you during use, e.g. while watching a dark-ish movie, you should think twice about whether you want to go through with the repair... it takes away your time, and it's not clear that you will get a better screen, since, as said above, a certain amount of bleeding is normal.

9. techfest thread starter macrumors member

thanks for ur reply thunder

from the picture you see, would you say that this amount on my particular screen is normal?

i noticed this when i played the "visualizeR" on itunes. ihave used it before when i first got the macbook pro and it wasnt like that.

10. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I honestly can't say how much bleeding is normal. If you think the screen got worse over time, you should probably get it fixed.

11. techfest thread starter macrumors member

for a second i thought ur name was thunderthighs haha

12. techfest thread starter macrumors member

13. /user/me macrumors 6502

Mine doesn't have this problem

14. techfest thread starter macrumors member

it looks normal?

15. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I had that issue with my 2011 17" MBP as well, except mine was much worse: I had 2 light columns going up. I ended up taking it to Apple, and they replaced the screen, no questions asked. The one I got back still had A LOT of bleed, so I took it back again. This time, they offered to replace it under warranty, but told me that they didn't see a problem, and that if I couldn't scientifically prove there was actually an issue with my screen, they wouldn't be able to do it a third time. Either way, I took the replacement, and I got back yet ANOTHER screen with a good amount of bleed (albeit better than both of the first two screens). I decided to give up, and I ended up selling the machine anyway. Moral of the story: Apple will have no problem replacing it if it's under warranty once or twice; however, they may give you some trouble if you can't adequately show them the backlight bleed (VERY difficult in store due to their lighting).

My personal opinion is that your screen is a lot better than mine was, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you take it in, you could potentially get one that's even worse. The more you think/stare at it, the worse it'll look to you. If you ignore it, it's just fine.

16. techfest thread starter macrumors member

alright we'll in that case iil prob end up keeping my macbook the way it is.

the thing is though it wasnt like this before. is it just normal sometimes with LED screens?

17. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Ok, so I decided to take a few screenshots of my black screen at full brightness in a dark room, with my phone camera.

I am perfectly happy with my screen, and I don't notice any backlight bleeding or other problems during normal use, which sometimes includes using the laptop in relatively dark rooms. Now if you look at the screenshots below, taken from different angles, there are all sorts of features, and some amount of backlight bleeding, but not too much.

I'm not exactly sure, but I think my 2008 anti-glare MBP looks similar. I just had a look at a 2007 glare type MBP - the screen seems more even, and the backlight bleeding depends a lot on the angle from which you look at it.

At the end of the day, I think your screen is fine.

Attached Files:

18. /user/me macrumors 6502

Yep. Not nearly as much bleeding as others are seeing

19. techfest thread starter macrumors member

thanks for taking your time to take some shots for me to compare thunder, helps alot!

20. jaykru macrumors newbie

+1

I had a MacBook Pro 17" antiglare top of the line model with the same exact issue. I got the screen replaced twice and ended up doing an exchange for a glossy model that has a 5400RPM HDD (only model in store) and the next step down processor. I couldn't be more angry. We pay $50 for an "upgraded" display and it's much worse than the glossy? The new one I got has no backlight issues at all. I'm a programmer and I use a dark themed text editor for hours every day, the backlight drove me crazy. UGH! :mad::mad::mad:

21. techfest thread starter macrumors member

they gave u a lesser model? i dont think there suppose to do that lol

22. kywildcats macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Did you get the difference in price for that?

23. techfest thread starter macrumors member

for the 15inch, its a 150 upgrade XD

24. jaykru macrumors newbie

Yep.

Yes, they gave me the refund for the difference. I asked for the downgrade, actually. I should be more happy about it I guess because it was about 2 months old and the replaced instead of a simple repair. I'm going to exchange it back and live with the screen because the glossiness + low RPM hard drive keep chipping away at my patience. It could be worse.

25. Finchfan87 macrumors newbie

Would this be considered bad backlight bleeding?

Just got a 2012 mbp with the matte anti glare screen. just want to know if this type of screen bleeding would be considered normal

Attached Files: