uh oh-MB froze, now won't boot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by isleofjib, Dec 16, 2007.

1. isleofjib macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

I have a mb, c2d, leopard 10.5.1. I had ff3, safari, mail and iTunes running. iTunes was d/l a lot of stuff and then the system froze. nothing would respond. did a hard reboot and then the system wouldn't boot. after a long while, I got the folder with ? in it. I put in my leopard disk but it wouldn't boot off of that either until the 4th or 5th attempt. I tried to run disk utility but the hdd doesn't show. what happened and what can I do?

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Sounds like your drive died. If you're still under warranty, you can get it replaced at the Apple Store. If you have an extra Mac and a FW cable, you can try target disk mode.

3. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yeah sounds like hdd failure to me too, hope you ve got everything backed up:eek:

4. isleofjib thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

it is under warranty still. I just don't like that store and especially given our weather and the Xmas season. blah. is there ANY way to salvage the drive? and yes, I just did a back up 2 days ago.

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

See my FW comment above. Alternatively, if you don't have a cable, but do have another Mac and an external enclosure, you can pop out the drive from the MB, pop it into the enclosure, and try to recover that way.

6. isleofjib thread starter macrumors regular

is there any way to get the hdd working again?

7. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I've heard that putting a hard drive in the freezer for a bit might get it working long enough for you to get your data (haven't tried it personally). your prob gonna need a new hard drive tho for a reliable setup. apple should replace it under waranty

8. isleofjib thread starter macrumors regular

thank you every one. one more question: could it mean something more than a hdd if the mb has trouble booting off the leopard install disk? or a time machine backup?