UH-OH My D40 Went Nuts

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by HomeingPigeon, Mar 24, 2008.

1. HomeingPigeon macrumors regular

I was taking pictures today right outside my house. Maybe 3 minutes ago. All of a sudden the camera starts make a wierd noise and doesn't take pictures when I press the shutter. The screen says "Press shutter release again". I do so and it just says the error again.

What should I do?
    This is the first time I have ever had my camera brake or anything.

2. SLC Flyfishing macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

Take it in and have a service center look at it. What kind of noise was it making?

Hopefully it's still under warranty!

SLC

3. HomeingPigeon thread starter macrumors regular

I just got the camera at christmas. I think it still has warranty. The noise sounds kinda like it does when it try's to auto-focus. Just louder.

4. SLC Flyfishing macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

That's not normal, all the D40's I've used were basically silent when autofocusing. I'd bet your camera was defective from the start!

Take it back in, it's certainly got a warranty but the camera shop you got it from may just take it as a return and give you a new one.

SLC

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You will probably have to send it in to Nikon. Where did you buy it?
    Also, have you googled to see if this is a known issue? I remember my D70 had a repair recall type thing for the blinking green light of death. I never sent mine in because Nikon issued a statement saying anyone with a D70 falling within certain serial numbers can have theirs repaired at any time. Mine failed the day I boarded the plane coming home from my first trip to the UK. :) Lucky timing. ;)

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

A long shot.... Take the battery out, wait a few seconds then try again. (Kind of like re-booting a PC) You will likely have to send it back to Nikon under warenty.

7. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

It's under warranty, and according to the manual it needs to be serviced. They'll either replace the failing component or give you a new one.

8. HomeingPigeon thread starter macrumors regular

I actually got it fixed just by talking to the repair shop person. I took the batteries out. Waited 2 minutes. Put the batteries back in. Took the lens out. Watched the shutter while pressing the shutter button. Then all of a sudden there was like a wall it looked like in front of the sensor that all of a sudden moved. Good to know.