Uh oh? Secure empty trash.. but 6,700 files? Did I delete everything!?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sunstar22, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Sunstar22 macrumors newbie

Hey
    I am really really new to mac just got it a few days ago, and my friend used a hard drive to transfer my pictures and itunes onto my new computer, I had put the new photos into a good file but there was still another folder with all the same photos on my desktop so I put it in the trash and it was stuck with a little lock on it and when i tried and emptied the trash it said I needed to change my options, so i thought I had changed the options and I clicked secure empty trash and it started deleting 6,700 files... I think I screwed up the comptuter already... AHH please help!!:(

2. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

If you have the photos,music and everything else,what do you care if you have trashed a duplicate folder?

If you have one copy of your things,then you don't need to worry!

3. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

A little friendly advice: On a Mac, YOU don't put things into files -- you let the SOFTWARE put things into files for you. My old iBook has been working flawlessly for five years because I trust the software; I NEVER go monkeying around in the file system. Especially where irreplaceable photos and music is concerned.

To import pictures into iPhoto, just drag-and-drop them into the main window. iPhoto will do the rest. To import music into iTunes, just drag-and-drop them into the main window, iTunes will do the rest. Same with iMovie too.

I know trusting a computer is hard to do when you've been screwed by PC's all your life, but Trust Your Mac and it won't let you down. :apple:

4. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

That's right eRondeau!!You are totally right!!As you can see from my signature i don't really "play" when Unix is involved....Too dangerous.....!!

Oh and Sunstar22,even when you trust a program,always backup...!You never know what's going to happen...!

5. jive turkey macrumors 6502

To answer your question, if your pictures and music are still found in the finder, you are probably ok. A few weeks after I first bought my Mac I went the "secure empty trash" route...and it said it was deleting over 200,000 files!!!!! I about freaked, but since I was new to this whole thing I figured worse case scenario was I could reinstall the OS since I only had a few weeks of customization on it everything was backed up with Time Machine. I let all 200k files be securely emptied and have never noticed anything wrong.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

There is a good chance you might have deleted Recovered Files.

As always, backup.