Uh Oh. Time Capsule offers USB drives to Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jeremy.king, Feb 29, 2008.

1. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Yes, but Time Capsule is a NAS. The AEx is a wireless access point with some limited USB functionality. You have to be clear about what you're buying.

3. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

The thing is, AEx was supposed to be able to do this same functionality. It was even advertised to be able to do so.

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Oh really? I didn't know that. Mind you, I can understand why it would have been pulled - throughput is dire. My personal preference for performance reasons is the Windows way - DAS for nearline backups like Time Machine, NAS/Offline storage for standalone backups with Superduper carried out outside working times.

5. jeremy.king thread starter macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Also, the reality is you can't use any non-TC NAS or network storage for reliable Time Machine backups...

Didn't they give some BS excuse about they can't control the availability of the USB device because a user could disconnect it at anytime, yet now they offer the USB devices ONLY with the TC?

6. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

exactly, I got rid of a perfect good graphite airport last March and bought a new AEBS and a 500 GB ext drive in anticipation of a June Leopard release. I could have bought a mini instead.

while I dealt with the Leopard delay, I'm not doing as well regarding the purposeful crippling of the AEBS / external time machine situation.