Uh oh - TOUGH decision

Discussion in 'iPad' started by libskate, Jul 13, 2011.

?

iPad 1 32gb wifi for $275 or iPad 2 wifi 16gb at full price?

1. iPad 1 32 gb wifi for $275

30 vote(s)
    44.1%
  2. iPad 2 16gb at full price

38 vote(s)
    55.9%
  1. libskate macrumors member

Hi all,

Here's the situation:

I have the opportunity to buy an iPad 1 wifi 32gb for $275, or a new iPad 2 wifi 16gb at the standard price of $499 (plus tax).

The storage difference doesn't really make a difference to me. What would you guys and girls do? Go for the original or cough up the extra cash for iPad 2?

Also, the cameras on the iPad 2 will probably be unused for me. I mainly want to use the iPad for reading pdfs, using apps like the WSJ, economist, watching movies, browsing the web.

Thoughts?

2. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

If the iPad 1 is in very good condition, I would go with that for your needs. That price is a steal. For me personally, I waited for the 2 and I like the slimmer design and cameras.

3. hcho3 macrumors 68030

First one is cheaper and if it fits your needs, then go for it.

However, I cannot tell the condition of ipad 1. I guess it's used. And I never buy used product unless it's directly from apple.

4. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

5. macrat macrumors regular

You're buying a used car and yet you can afford a new one. Life is short! Enjoy the best:p

When the iOS5 comes out in September, you might regret getting the iPad 1. I repeat, maybe.......

6. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Go ahead and get the iPad 1 if money is really that tight (although if money is that tight, should you even be getting an iPad?). It's still a great machine. Just make sure you never put your hands on an iPad 2. The difference in performance is very evident and will have you regretting your decision.

7. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Depends on your needs. If you're requirements are light, the iPad 1 will probably be fine.

However, with iOS 5 coming, I'm glad I have the iPad 2. I haven't kept up w/ things on here lately, but you should look into iPad 1 owners experience w/ the iOS 5 beta to help you decide.

8. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

It's just a couple hundred dollars more for the better, thinner, faster, sexier, more magical one. Isn't the choice obvious?

9. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

I would go with iPad2. There are some little details I really enjoy. Eg the smart cover with the magnets to switch on/off when open the cover. Nothing really exciting maybe but I really like it.

Agree on the cameras; not real need for myself, too.

Another good argument will be that the resell value might be higher when you want to upgrade later. Will be hard to sell iPad 1 in 5 month.

But if you are not such a stupid fanboy as I am who want the latest toy you are perfectly fine with iPad 1 for the purpose you mentioned.

What was your first own thought ? Follow it.

10. taipan61 macrumors 6502

given the uses you state you'll be using it for...which it what we all say until it's in our hands...i'd go the for iPad1, then if indeed you enjoy it and find it useful then you can upgrade to the iPad3 when it hits the market, as for resale, by that time you can donate it to a family member or the kids or just use it as a movie player in the car

11. libskate thread starter macrumors member

Hi all,

Just jumping in to clarify a few things. Yes, the iPad original is used, but I've seen it and it's in fine condition.

It's not so much that money is an issue. I can afford the iPad 2, it's just that I was hoping to grab an air (might go 2010 or refresh, still not sure) and I can't really spend like $1600 on apple stuff in a two week period.

It is difficult tho because I played with the iPad 1 and 2 and the 2 blows the original away on speed.

12. Blakjack, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011

Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Since u won't really use the cameras(assuming this holds out to be true) the decision To buy iPad 2 would almost be worse than choosing Sarah Palin as a Presidential nominee

The iPad 2 minus the cameras is a graphics upgrade. After that, it's not worth it f u could get iPad 1 at the price u have mentioned.

And like thelookingglass said, DON'T EVER TOUCH an iPAD 2!!! It'll be like dying a slow death.

13. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

And a CPU upgrade, and a RAM upgrade and a thinner/lighter design upgrade. The first two boost the overall experience significantly, in my opinion. But, again, only if you compare them side by side. Ignorance is bliss.

14. Itxdjx macrumors member

go with the 1st gen i believe the 32gb is worth more than what the ipad 2 brings espically for your needs. I have both, and honestly, number one is just as good BABY! Since youll be getting a laptop to go with it makes even more sense for the 1st gen. I still if i had to make the descision again only only had to keep one i would choose chubby pad.

15. mattraehl macrumors 6502

$275 for the 1 is a decent deal but not mind-blowing, they are going for $300-$325 shipped on eBay. If you think you'll want the iPad 3 when it comes out, you might be better off going for the 1 though. For the prices we're talking about I think the 1 will hold more of it's value than the 2 at this point - consider that the 1 is now selling for ~$200 less than it's original MSRP, we can suppose that the same will happen to the 2 when the 3 comes out. But when the 3 comes out I think you'll be able to get more than $75 for the 1.

But if you're buying and planning it keep it for a few years reguardless of what Apple does with the 3, I would go with the 2 no question. Thinner, lighter, double the RAM, double the CPU, substantial graphics bump (iOS GUI and apps make extensive use of GPU hardware acceleration, the GPU isn't just for games)

16. 3dflyboy1, Jul 14, 2011

3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

if you want to upgrade to the iPad 3 next year, then buy the 1st gen now. If you want to keep the iPad for a (long) while and you're not considering an upgrade, go for the iPad2.

^^^ sound advice there.

17. bbnck macrumors 6502

iOS 5 will be available for the original iPad.

18. palpatine macrumors 68040

used ipad 1, presumably without warranty/applecare, for 275

refurbished one with warranty for 430

or new ipad 2 for 499?

i'd go for the ipad 2. the first one is an unknown risk with old technology (i own one). i pretty much never buy used tech, much less used and outdated tech. and i can''t even imagine doing that without a warranty.the refurbished one is ok, but nearly the same price as the ipad 2, so i'd just move up to the newest version.

19. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

YES!!! mine won't be outdated then. :D:D:D

20. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Never buy outdated technology, it only will lead you to regret it in a short time. iPad 2 is so much faster that you won't have to worry about it being outdated anytime soon.

21. mattraehl macrumors 6502

iPad 2 will be outdated in 8-10 months tops. ;)

22. bbnck, Jul 14, 2011

bbnck macrumors 6502

Yeah. If you go to the iOS 5 page: www.apple.com/uk/ios/ios5 it states that it'll be available for iPad + iPad 2.

To be honest the original iPad isn't a slouch by any means, but for big apps such as CNN and some newspaper apps there is a bit of lag for example when scrolling through news story titles in the CNN app. In general the original iPad is fast and smooth. If you plan to upgrade to the iPad 3 later on after that is released then an iPad 1 would do you fine. If you want to keep your iPad for quite a bit of time (no upgrading for some time for example) or you want to use the iPad for video calling and/or want the best performance, get the iPad 2.

Like others have said though, that price is a bargain so make sure it's in good condition if you go for the original iPad.

23. littledude8209 macrumors regular

I voted for the original, because for me that would be the choice. The original iPad is still a very good device, and 32gb and cheaper price really draw me to that.

now, on the other hand, the iPad 2 is a beauty. Thinner and (barely) lighter. It really is a matter of whether you care about the different design (and which design you like/thin you would like better - the curved back, or flat)

it is a tough choice o.o

24. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

just go for new mba... and save and wait for ipad 3