Uh Oh. Upgraded to 4.0: Bricked. Help!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jdbmac, May 5, 2010.

1. jdbmac macrumors newbie

So I didn't realize that in order to upgrade to 4.0 you actually had to have your phone registered with Apple and now I'm stuck with a "We're unable to complete your activation." My phone is completely useless, unless I can figure out a way to downgrade or pay the $99 for the developer account. Is there any way for me to downgrade?! I am desperate! Thanks!

2. jdbmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh and its a 32 GB iPhone 3GS if that matters!

3. azsprty macrumors 6502

4. jdbmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I was able to fix it. I ended up trying to follow the directions on that site for mac but ended up just putting it in DFU, restoring, but when it returned an error I typed in the terminal codes and restarted and it restored properly! Thank you so much! I usually don't rush into things like that but I decided to download 4.0 and try it in the matter of a few minutes! Thank you again!

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Serves you right for pirating an OS. I don't know why people do this and then ask for help

6. drf1229 macrumors regular

drf1229

Failure. That does serve you right, but yea DFU mode will help you if you ever have problems starting up your iPod.

7. wolfgang666 macrumors regular

help!!!

i followed exactly from steps 1-4 but on step 5, whe i type “./iRecovery -s” and hit enter, it gives me a msg “permission denied” dis hapns all the time…wat am i supposed to do?? my iphone is a brick now…please someone help!!!

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

I just don't get it!

Why do people got have it now. Please give me the buggy OS now. so I can show my friends how cool I am to have it. just wait a couple months geesh!

9. wumbobabo macrumors newbie

So I'm trying to do this on my mac but when I put in the terminal command it doesnt work. Any idea?

10. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

"it doesnt work" doesn't give us anything to go on. What kind of phone do you have? What steps have you taken? What command are you typing? What are you expecting it to do? What does it do? Does it give an error message?

11. Goodeye macrumors 6502a

Goodeye

FYI until 4.0 releases anytime you need to recover your going to have to do the iRecovery trick.

12. thatoneguy159 macrumors member

Erm, technically you still have 4.0's baseband on your device running atop of firmware 3.1.3. It's still illegal to have possession of that baseband.. but really, what can you do about it? The baseband is stuck on there! :p

13. UrbanerMezei macrumors member

14. bmms8 macrumors 68020

15. thatoneguy159 macrumors member

I dont think the above post is allowed. Might wanna get rid of the link.

16. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

It's actually fairly easy to downgrade back to 3.1.3. Just restore in DFU mode and run iRecovery to boot the phone out of recovery mode.