Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatonekid393

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
Okay. Here's the situation.

Last night I was re-applying my Invisible Shield (which looked terrible and disfigured going on, but looks fantastic when dried, which I didn't know). I was getting it to juuuuust how I wanted it, and after re-applying it for the 7th time I got it right. I left the skin to seal itself overnight.

This morning I get up, turn on my Touch, and lo and behold, the screen is disfigured from water inside the machine. I guess using too much excess water applying the back of the Shield must have somehow gotten into the machine. Now, before you tell me it was a mistake turning it on so soon (and it was, I agree) I am very sure there is no component damage to the device; the sliders and icons are still perfectly touch-sensitive and everything works as it should. I am not going to turn it back on for a while, though, to avoid circuit damage. I have already checked, and the little white circle in the headphone jack has turned orange, so I guess warranty replacement is out of the question. I am here asking if this has happened to anyone and how long do I have to wait (or what should I do to clear the screen)?

It is now sitting above my bedroom filter (cool air, don't worry) and I am anxiously hoping it dries. I've had this thing for under two weeks, so please respond, I'm extremely nervous :x

---Oh yeah, the shield looks fantastic.

bamaworks

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
Lexington, KY
I've applied two invisible shields to touches and I can't imagine how much water you used because I thought that I was a little too liberal with the excess moisture and I had no problem.

Perhaps if it dries you won't have a problem, I'd lay it screen down to avoid any leeching though.

thatonekid393

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
I've applied two invisible shields to touches and I can't imagine how much water you used because I thought that I was a little too liberal with the excess moisture and I had no problem.

Perhaps if it dries you won't have a problem, I'd lay it screen down to avoid any leeching though.
I had dirtied the I.S. and tried to clean it using a mixture of water and dishwashing soap. It didn't seem like much excess but I guess the four times I re-applied after soaking in that solution created an excess.

I feel like such a fool :p
Anyway, thanks, I'll try face-down unless someone objects to that....?

bamaworks

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
Lexington, KY
Well, unless there's something I don't know, it makes sense. I know I'd rather the water stay against the glass than make its way down to the main board :).

thatonekid393

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
Update on the situation.....
Still water marks on the screen :x can you guys look and see if this water damage will simply evaporate and leave the screen as good as new?

DSC02065.jpg

against a white background:
DSC02067.jpg

and sideways (it looks like if it evaporated it would all be fine)
DSC02066.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.