Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
This is copied verbatim from my thread on Macfora, because I'm a lazy bastard:

So today, I came home from school, and started to play some Medal of Honor on my PB*. Since I upgraded to 10.3.8 a day or two ago, I would get some weird graphics problem after a little while. The screen would be covered in weird little blocks, and I could see the outlines of the surfaces on the map. Quitting, putting the PB to sleep, then waking it up would clear it, and I was set to go on my merry way. Today though, I decided to play some Battlefield 1942 after, because I was still ready to shoot some polygons. As soon as I went to pick which battle I wanted, the graphics went wacky again, only this time, it did't go away.

So now it looks like this.

for the past few weeks, I noticed that whenever I walked into my room with my shoes on, and either touched my PB or put my iPod in the dock, I would get a static pop. I fear that this may have caused the problem, what with the Firewire port being in close proximity to the video chips on the logic board.

Here's what I've tried to remedy the problem:
Booted from external backup
Reset PRAM (twice)
Reset PMU (twice)
Shut down and let it sit.

Once I track down my hardware test DVD and my Panther CDs, I'll run the test and archive-install to see if I can nail it to hardware or software.

I really hope I don't have to replace hte logic board, I don't have enough money for it :(

* 1.25GHz 15", 768MB RAM (256MB from Apple, 512MB self installed, no problems with it since July).

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
ouch...

if it turns out it was the static, it time to get a humidifer in your room.

cfd

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2004
If the unit is still under warranty, have it repaired now. It looks like the logic board as you suspected. If it's out of warranty, check around for prices. Apple should charge about $300 USD.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
It looks as though the wires connecting the inverter/screen to the Logic Board are loose. Open it up and try to reseat the connection. I had a similar problem after a minor fall.

Otherwise, take it to an Apple Store or a Reseller, maybe some software problem, or hardware they can fix.

TEG

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
TEG said:
It looks as though the wires connecting the inverter/screen to the Logic Board are loose. Open it up and try to reseat the connection. I had a similar problem after a minor fall.

...and void your warrenty while your at it...

Call up Apple now and tell 'em that its doing funky stuff after 10.3.8.

You do have AppleCare, right? Its nearly essential to have with a PowerBook/iBook unless you have a place like Best Buy do your warranty. But AppleCare will be able to fix you up (in theory).

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
Counterfit said:
The last thing I need in New England is more humidity :rolleyes:

i stand corrected. at least where I am with the AC or heater running a lot the air gets dry and you shock yourself on basically everything metal.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Counterfit said:
The last thing I need in New England is more humidity :rolleyes:

:) Are you from Arizona or something? As a former "Rhodylanduh" now living in "Nawf Kalinuh", when I visit Lil Rhody and people complain about the humidity, all I can do is laugh. Loudly. In their face.

My suggestion, put something (largish? grounded?) metal in your room (at your desk) to touch and discharge static electricity on before fondling your PB.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
TEG said:

Otherwise, take it to an Apple Store or a Reseller, maybe some software problem, or hardware they can fix.

TEG
I don't think it's the connection, as I doubt that would show up in a screenshot.
It is not under warranty. I didn't have the $$ for the extra 2 years when I bought it, nor any time within the first year (they even called me :()
I looked at logic board prices, and pbparts.com shows $1299 for my model ($300?! I wish!
Also, I showed the shot to my brother (B.S. in Computer Engineering and he says part or all of the Video RAM is fried. TechTool Pro 4 agrees. :(

cfd

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2004
Counterfit said:
I don't think it's the connection, as I doubt that would show up in a screenshot.
It is not under warranty. I didn't have the $$ for the extra 2 years when I bought it, nor any time within the first year (they even called me :()
I looked at logic board prices, and pbparts.com shows $1299 for my model ($300?! I wish!
Before you dismiss the cost that Apple would charge, I would suggest that you drop by the nearest Apple store, or if one isn't close, care AppleCare and request a quote....

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
cfd said:
Before you dismiss the cost that Apple would charge, I would suggest that you drop by the nearest Apple store, or if one isn't close, care AppleCare and request a quote....
And give them $50 that I don't have? HA! I'll just go to the store in Cambridge while I'm on break next week. I also emailed PowerBookResQ to see what they say.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Counterfit said:
Just an update. I checked with an external monitor, pattern appeared. Ram the hardware test, "problems detected" :(

where were problems detected on the hardware test? logic board?

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Now this is a strange twist. I went to the BMAC meeting last week, with every intention of handing off my PB to the guys at Tech Superpowers. After the meeting was over, I opened up my PB, and BAM, the pattern went away. A reboot (due to a Kernal Panic :() later, it's still going. If you look closely, you can see "grain" on any brushed metal areas (such as Safari), and transparent parts (Terminal, MenuTunes) show an odd pattern. The weirdest part is, TechToolPro says the Video RAM passes the test :confused:

Well, I guess I'll wait until after Macworld to get it fixed. Ian from TSp told me it was a depot repair. They just send it to Apple, and $400 later, it's fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.