Uh, so why is it still called iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Hog Milanese, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Hog Milanese macrumors regular

Hog Milanese

This could've been asked years ago, really ... ever since they offered movies and TV shows.

2. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Yup. iTunes seriously needs a major redesign. I'd love to see it broken up into separate apps like iOS.

3. bmac89 macrumors 6502a

bmac89

Does the Apple Music Streaming service work through Itunes or is it a separate app?

In the apple music video it shows a new icon with the title music.
    (Or maybe it is not new and I'm really out of touch... I don't use IOS)

Music App Icon.png

Itunes has become a huge brand name... if they just called it Music then it becomes meaningless as a brand and icon, especially for those who don't normally use apple products.

However having said that I guess they could keep the itunes store name but split the apps up.

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...interested to see if they "de-brand" iTunes...

5. mgroot macrumors regular

mgroot

The music player is already called Music on iOS. iTunes is a separate app you use to buy stuff with

6. furbzv1 macrumors 6502a

furbzv1

if its not broken then why fix it? i would rather have iTunes than iMedia.

7. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

iTunes

is This unnecessary? no. even so…

indeed, Tunes unexpectedly need everything similar.

irritating Technological union necessitates exponential software!

inevitably This usefulness: never efficiently sustained.

8. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I'd rather see iTunes become strictly the store.

9. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Exactly. I kind of wonder if they're leading up to this now that their new music brand is just called "Apple Music" instead of "iTunes Streaming" or whatever. The iTunes name isn't a part of their new major music service, which is interesting to me. I would be very happy with a "Music" app featuring Apple Music on my Mac, and a separate Videos app, Podcast app, etc...for those who still manually sync, syncing could be done via a redesigned iSync, in a way similar to how the current version of iTunes handles syncing from outside apps like iBooks.

10. vladobizik macrumors 6502

I'd expect that when Apple Music lands, the Music app will be used for purchasing music. There will still need to be a store for Movies, TV shows, etc, though. So I guess that the iTunes app on iOS will be used to buy anything but tunes, ironically.

11. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Exactly. Or I guess thr iTunes app could still sell music for people who don't subscribe, and want to still buy music individually. Apple did say that the traditional iTunes Store is sticking around, after all.

12. CreatorCode macrumors regular

CreatorCode

13. unplugme71 macrumors 68030

Personally, to buy Music you open the Music app. To buy TV and Movies, you open the Video app on the iPhone. Just like you open the Books app to buy Books.

Pretty simple if you ask me :)

14. Mike MA macrumors 65816

Mike MA

You can count to three till the first people complain about the increase of apps and want it merged again. I pretty much like the idea of having all media types combined in one app and even being able to purchase it.

15. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Don't give Apple any ideas. Naming isn't their cup of tea recently. (See: OS X El Captain)

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For the same reason why they still call the iPhone, iMac and iPod the same name. Marketing and brand awareness.

17. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

Like the Photos app, the new Music app is first being released on Apple's most popular platform: iOS. I expect that a Music app will make its way to OS X, perhaps as early as next year's 10.12.

iTunes looks to be on its way out but because it's been Apple's Golden Goose for over a decade, they're not going to kill it until AppleMusic proves that streaming is the future. In the meantime, you'll listen to music (your own and streaming) in the Music app on iOS and on iTunes on OS X. iTunes for Mac has new tabs for Apple Music.

[​IMG]

The iTunes app remains in iOS but that's perhaps only until they release the new AppleTV and give you a way to watch movies and TV shows in a similar format as Apple Music.

18. placidity44 macrumors 6502

placidity44

You wouldn't change Rolex would you? Maybe Rolex doesn't sound great (I like it) but brand is everything! It would cause confusion. That's like why call iPhone an iPhone when it does so many other things?

19. ipedro, Jun 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2015

ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

Apple is deprecating the "i" branding and going all in with PRODUCT.

Apple has killed bigger names before: Powerbook, replaced with MacBook. iBook was also a very big brand name. Also gone. iPod was the biggest thing for Apple for the better part of a decade. It was its most recognizable and thus most valuable brand by far, likely even ahead of the Apple brand itself. Now, iPod has been removed off Apple's homepage and will sooner or later be eliminated.

iTunes has outlived itself. You can even say that it has negative connotations attached. Just look at this forum. MUSIC is what Apple is pushing and iTunes will eventually be discontinued.

20. mgroot macrumors regular

mgroot

There will still need to be a way to buy music on both iOS and OSX, maybe they'll just call the new app Store?

21. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

It's not clear whether you can buy music through the new Music app although you can browse the entire iTunes Library and add it to "My Music" from there. It wouldn't be a stretch to replace the "Add to My Music" button with a "Buy" button if you're not subscribed to MUSIC and then completely eliminate the separate iTunes app.

To take over app purchases and management from iTunes, the App Store already covers it in iOS. Updating the Mac App Store app in OS X to do the same is the obvious route. Devices could also be managed in the App Store app.

For TV shows and movies, the other shoe has yet to drop but it's possible that Apple is working on a service similar to MUSIC for video content. Pay $30/mo, get to watch unlimited movies and tv shows. An TV app on iOS and OS X could cover the video content viewing and management on those devices.

With all those services taken over by their individual apps, the reason for iTunes to exist would be gone. I think it can all happen as early as next year's OSX 10.12, the first after El Capitan's mostly under the hood update.

22. mgroot macrumors regular

mgroot

For backing up and restoring iPhones and iPads itunes is still the best way though, so there'd have to be a replacement for that at least

23. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

I like the name iTunes. It's characterful. Apple should keep the name forever.

They should have called the Apple Watch the iWatch.

Apple Music is a crap name. How bland can you get?

24. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

Just rename it into Apple Digital Store. So you have online store, retail store, and digital store. And it still sounds better than the Play Store...wtf Google, seriously.

Then make separate music app so people can actually listen to music on the Mac because iTunes, as a software...sucks.

This would get rid of the iBooks and Mac App Store as well and they'll be a Books app.

25. tdale macrumors 65816

Yes, and what this all in one approach helps with is binding it all into backup, restore, and syncing mechanism