Uh...What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Unconsoled, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Unconsoled macrumors regular

Just got my ATV a few weeks ago. Been trying to rip a few movies using Handbrake on the ATV setting. When it is all done the movie doesn't really start and when I fast forward it is all huge pixels and and unwatchable. What am I doing wrong?

2. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Have you been choosing the right source and selecting the correct preset you need? I use either Universal or often the Apple TV preset. It may also help to install VLC.

3. rWally macrumors regular

Are you streaming it? It's possible that your network is really slow which would explain the poor fast forwarding performance. When you say the movie doesn't really start do you mean it just hangs there and takes forever to load? If that's the case then it's almost certainly your connection.

Try syncing the whole movie to the :apple:TV first and then playing it.

4. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

this sounds like the problem. does the movie play fine on the computer through itunes?

5. Unconsoled thread starter macrumors regular

Not the network. I'm not streaming it. It is on the MBA and ATV and they both do the same thing. Source appears to be the DVD and vlc is installed. Never had this issue ripping for the iPhone. May try that preset and see how it goes.

6. Unconsoled thread starter macrumors regular

Downgraded to 0.9.1 and everything went smooth. Quality of said DVD is great and everything works. Weird. Maybe I will wait to upgrade again until I figure it out. Thanks for all your replies. You guys rock!!