Uh, where is my storage going?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MicroByte, Sep 12, 2010.

1. MicroByte macrumors 6502

Has anyone been noticing anything... odd going on with iTunes and the storage capacity it is reporting? I sync'd my iPod Touch and it initially reports I have 5 GB free. I then go and REMOVE some content (movies, books, apps) and it drops down now to 2.9 GB free!

I unplug it and then plug it back in and it reports 5 again. It then auto syncs and goes back to 2.9 GB.

Anyone have any idea of what's going on?

2. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

That is just iTunes 10 being stupid. I have noticed the same thing with my iPhone and iPad.

3. fswmacguy macrumors 6502

fswmacguy

It's a reading issue on the software side of iTunes 10. Just a bug that we'll see worked out in a later version of iTunes 10 (it's the first version of iTunes 10, so give it some slack!). Needless to say, your storage is still there.

Though, there are some users reporting that their 64GB iPod only shows up with 62GB or 59GB. The reason behind that is two things: 1) the iOS takes up a good chunk of space, and 2) formatted space is always less.

That's why when you buy a 500GB hard drive you only get 495GB (more or less).

4. MicroByte thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool, didn't realize it was an iTunes 10 issue.

Yeah, I had already factored in the iOS space allocated, that didn't catch me off guard. It's just funny to start at a certain size, delete off stuff and end up with lower free space than what you started with!