Uhhh Help! Did i Erase My Macbook Air Drive Correctly?? It took like 3 seconds.

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
I held down command + r during reboot and it went into disk utility

i selected the first drive i see it says "121 gb apple SSD" and i clicked on "Erase" it literally took all but 5 seconds to erase the drive

i then clicked the other drive on the drop down menu right underneath ssd and i clicked erase same thing only a couple seconds...i now see that this drive is named "untitled" but yet it still says it has "3 folders and 2 files" what? how does it have anything when i already erased it?

i see anothr drive that says "disk1" it has an orange "mac osx base systems" im assuming this is the operating system. the erase is greyedout

i was anticipating that this secure erase would take at least an hour

the fact that it was so quick leaves me uneasy .

i am returning this macbook air so i want to be sure everything is off it

KPOM

macrumors G5
Oct 23, 2010
I don't believe OS X support "secure erase" with an SSD. Was the drive encrypted? If so, a quick format should be sufficient, since even if the next person is able to access the data, it would still be encrypted.

shamash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2008
Taichung, Taiwan
I think you may be a tad over-paranoid on the matter. I'd say erasing it will suffice. Reinstall the OS and check to make sure everything is gone, and you should be good to go.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I held down command + r during reboot and it went into disk utility

i selected the first drive i see it says "121 gb apple SSD" and i clicked on "Erase" it literally took all but 5 seconds to erase the drive

i then clicked the other drive on the drop down menu right underneath ssd and i clicked erase same thing only a couple seconds...i now see that this drive is named "untitled" but yet it still says it has "3 folders and 2 files" what? how does it have anything when i already erased it?

i see anothr drive that says "disk1" it has an orange "mac osx base systems" im assuming this is the operating system. the erase is greyedout

i was anticipating that this secure erase would take at least an hour

the fact that it was so quick leaves me uneasy .

i am returning this macbook air so i want to be sure everything is off it
Did you zero out the data? If not, it would be extremely fast. If you zero out the data, depending on the number of passes, it will take take a lot longer.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Do you want to erase it do that you can perform a clean re-install, or because you're selling the computer and you don't want anyone to obtain your data, using data recovery tools?

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Do you want to erase it do that you can perform a clean re-install, or because you're selling the computer and you don't want anyone to obtain your data, using data recovery tools?

i want to erase it bc i dont want anyone to obtain data using data recovery tools.

how would i do this?

i held down command & r and the options it gave me for erasing only took like 3 seconds.

----------

Did you zero out the data? If not, it would be extremely fast. If you zero out the data, depending on the number of passes, it will take take a lot longer.

i thought that zero out the data is not an option for macbook air w ssd drive?

KPOM

macrumors G5
Oct 23, 2010
i want to erase it bc i dont want anyone to obtain data using data recovery tools.

how would i do this?
As we told you in the other thread, the best option is to encrypt the drive and then format it. For good measure, encrypt it, write some dummy data on it to fill up the drive, and then format it, though that isn't really necessary.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Re-launch Disk Utility, click the drive you want to erase, and before you click the Erase button, click the button to its left, labeled Security Options. Drag the slider a notch or two to the right (35 passes is WAY too many), and then erase the drive.

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Re-launch Disk Utility, click the drive you want to erase, and before you click the Erase button, click the button to its left, labeled Security Options. Drag the slider a notch or two to the right (35 passes is WAY too many), and then erase the drive.
i cant do that.

the security options is greyed out on my 2012 macbook air.
how do i ungrey it?

KPOM

macrumors G5
Oct 23, 2010
i cant do that.

the security options is greyed out on my 2012 macbook air.
how do i ungrey it?
You can't. That's why we have said before that the best option is to encrypt the drive using FileVault2, and then format it. Actually, in your case, you can go into Disk Utility, and just format it as an encrypted volume directly. Write a bunch of dummy data if you want, and then reformat it. Any data should effectively be unrecoverable at that point.

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Actually, in your case, you can go into Disk Utility, and just format it as an encrypted volume directly. Write a bunch of dummy data if you want, and then reformat it. Any data should effectively be unrecoverable at that point.

i didnt encrypt it before i deleted it. is that going to be a problem?

i am now in disk utility. i formatted it doing "journal, encrypted"
it still only took like 3 seconds to do

and why does it say that my drive has a 120.84 capacity and that only 120.62 is available?
where is that extra memory coming from? it also says there are 3 folders and 2 files left on the drive. this is after i erased the drive..?

----------

also i see an "os x base system" can i delete this? is there any personal information in there?

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors G5
Oct 23, 2010
i didnt encrypt it before i deleted it. is that going to be a problem?

i am now in disk utility. i formatted it doing "journal, encrypted"
it still only took like 3 seconds to do.
My suggestion would be to fill the drive with dummy data. You probably don't need to, but since didn't encrypt it before, it won't hurt. Then once it's full, you can reformat it.

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
My suggestion would be to fill the drive with dummy data. You probably don't need to, but since didn't encrypt it before, it won't hurt. Then once it's full, you can reformat it.

how do i fill it with dummy data?

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Copy a huge movie to the drive and duplicate it until you can't duplicate it anymore.

DVD9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
Copy a huge movie to the drive and duplicate it until you can't duplicate it anymore.
And when you get your new Air the first thing you're going to do is encrypt it with Filevault2 now that you've learned your lesson.