Uhhh Help! Did i Erase My Macbook Air Drive Correctly?? It took like 3 seconds.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by VideoNewbie, Aug 20, 2012.

1. VideoNewbie macrumors 6502

I held down command + r during reboot and it went into disk utility

i selected the first drive i see it says "121 gb apple SSD" and i clicked on "Erase" it literally took all but 5 seconds to erase the drive

i then clicked the other drive on the drop down menu right underneath ssd and i clicked erase same thing only a couple seconds...i now see that this drive is named "untitled" but yet it still says it has "3 folders and 2 files" what? how does it have anything when i already erased it?

i see anothr drive that says "disk1" it has an orange "mac osx base systems" im assuming this is the operating system. the erase is greyedout

i was anticipating that this secure erase would take at least an hour

the fact that it was so quick leaves me uneasy .

i am returning this macbook air so i want to be sure everything is off it

2. KPOM macrumors G5

I don't believe OS X support "secure erase" with an SSD. Was the drive encrypted? If so, a quick format should be sufficient, since even if the next person is able to access the data, it would still be encrypted.

3. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

I think you may be a tad over-paranoid on the matter. I'd say erasing it will suffice. Reinstall the OS and check to make sure everything is gone, and you should be good to go.

4. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Did you zero out the data? If not, it would be extremely fast. If you zero out the data, depending on the number of passes, it will take take a lot longer.

5. Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda

Do you want to erase it do that you can perform a clean re-install, or because you're selling the computer and you don't want anyone to obtain your data, using data recovery tools?

6. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

i want to erase it bc i dont want anyone to obtain data using data recovery tools.

how would i do this?

i held down command & r and the options it gave me for erasing only took like 3 seconds.

----------

i thought that zero out the data is not an option for macbook air w ssd drive?

7. KPOM macrumors G5

As we told you in the other thread, the best option is to encrypt the drive and then format it. For good measure, encrypt it, write some dummy data on it to fill up the drive, and then format it, though that isn't really necessary.

8. Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda

Re-launch Disk Utility, click the drive you want to erase, and before you click the Erase button, click the button to its left, labeled Security Options. Drag the slider a notch or two to the right (35 passes is WAY too many), and then erase the drive.

9. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

i cant do that.

the security options is greyed out on my 2012 macbook air.
    how do i ungrey it?

10. KPOM macrumors G5

You can't. That's why we have said before that the best option is to encrypt the drive using FileVault2, and then format it. Actually, in your case, you can go into Disk Utility, and just format it as an encrypted volume directly. Write a bunch of dummy data if you want, and then reformat it. Any data should effectively be unrecoverable at that point.

11. VideoNewbie, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012

VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

i didnt encrypt it before i deleted it. is that going to be a problem?

i am now in disk utility. i formatted it doing "journal, encrypted"
    it still only took like 3 seconds to do

and why does it say that my drive has a 120.84 capacity and that only 120.62 is available?
    where is that extra memory coming from? it also says there are 3 folders and 2 files left on the drive. this is after i erased the drive..?

----------

also i see an "os x base system" can i delete this? is there any personal information in there?

12. KPOM macrumors G5

My suggestion would be to fill the drive with dummy data. You probably don't need to, but since didn't encrypt it before, it won't hurt. Then once it's full, you can reformat it.

13. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

how do i fill it with dummy data?

14. KPOM macrumors G5

15. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

16. Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda

Copy a huge movie to the drive and duplicate it until you can't duplicate it anymore.

17. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

And when you get your new Air the first thing you're going to do is encrypt it with Filevault2 now that you've learned your lesson.