Uhhhh what the freak is this an undocumented change

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shinenjk, Aug 8, 2008.

1. shinenjk macrumors regular

...with 2.0.1 or is it a bug?

Before with 2.0 when I'm on the phone talking, if hit the lock button at the top once, it will "lock" my phone and make the screen turn into the wallpaper screen that has the "slide to unlock" button. If I hit the lock button again, it will turn the phone off but I would still be able to talk on the phone (GREAT FEATURE). BUT now when I press the lock button while on the phone, it freaking HANGS UP FIRST, THEN goes back to the wallpaper screen. I JUST noticed this today! EXTREMELY ANNOYING. :(

How am I supposed to lock my phone now while talking so that I won't accidentally press buttons. Please try this on your phone and let me know if you get the same results. Apple, I want the old function back!

2. shinenjk thread starter macrumors regular

wow figured it out

So this is a small, somewhat neat feature on your iPhone:

If you have EARPHONES plugged in, then hit the lock button, it will lock the phone WITHOUT hanging up.

BUT if you do not have them plugged in and do the same, it will HANG UP, THEN lock the phone.

NEATOOOOOOOOOOOO I see why they would be different. Apple really puts a lot of work into little detail like that. Kudos. :D

3. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Um why would you need to lock the phone while talking? There's a feature built in that shuts off the screen when you bring it to your ear. It's one of the 3 sensors at the top of the phone.

4. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Yeah I am trying to figure out why you would need/want to do this.

The 3G model even has a second sensor to make it more accurately determine when the phone is brought up/lowered from your face.

5. shinenjk thread starter macrumors regular

If the phone is held next to your ear, the phone will stay shut off as you said. BUT if you have earphones on, the phone is most likely in your pants/pocket or in your hand. And if you move that phone, it will unlock itself due to the motion sensor which means you'll accidentally press the keypad. But if you hit the lock button (once or twice) it will prevent that from happening.

Basically the software detects whether the earphones are plugged in and changes the function of the lock button. It's a very minor detail that can only be appreciated by people who use earphones a lot. This function will seem trivial to you and you might still not get what I'm talking about if you don't use earphones. If that's the case, IGNORE my post & move on please. :p

6. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

I was commenting on your first post before I knew you meant headphones.

7. pj rage macrumors 6502

Unless they changed it in 2.0.1, hitting lock while on speakerphone also DOES NOT hang up and just locks the phone. Which it should, for the same reason that it acts this way when headphones are in.

I didn't know that it will hang up while speakerphone is off though, thanks for the tip. This is helpful for just hanging up when you're done, if you don't want to hit "end call" or whatever.

8. rwd hero macrumors 6502

When the phone is against your ear the screen is off, so you wouldent have to hit the power button. If the earbuds are in you can turn the screen off without hanging up by hitting the power button at the top of the phone (at least that how it works on my phone).

9. The General macrumors 601

Nice! I didn't know locking the phone hung up the phone! This will save me some TAP TAP TAP while I wait for it to freaking hang up and then lock.

NICE! :D

10. sUGArDawg macrumors regular

sUGArDawg

Mine hasn't done this at all, and I have 2.0.1

I just had a billion calls yesterday and was pressing the lock button the whole time, no hang ups

11. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Another undocumented change - when you delete mail - the trashcan hardly moves. with 2.0, it had a good old shake as the deleted mail got pushed into it.