uhm...adding file sizes together? How?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by maximus06, Dec 1, 2007.

1. maximus06 macrumors regular

When I select multiple files, I want to know what their combined size in MB/GB is. I mean even windows did this...am I missing something here? QuickLook or "Get Info" don't work. It doesn't show them in the bottom bar (where it says how much HD space is left) either.

2. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

If you select the files in finder then press 'ctrl' whilst right clicking 'Get Info' will become 'Get Summary Info' and that will give you the total file size.

3. maximus06 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. What a joke though, sometimes windows is really superior to os-x. I mean, come on, I don't want to press keys and click around to see the damn total filesizes. Absurd.

4. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Command option i also works too. One of those not really documented features.

5. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Not to throw gas on a possible flame war... but can windows get individual sizes with one click? Say I want to compare file-a.jpg and file-b.jpg; I select both and hit Cmd-I. Now I have two infos for comparison. Hit Ctrl-Cmd-I and I get summary for both files. Easy-peasy.

However, each person is going to find things they like and dislike about each OS, and all are valid things. However, it being a "joke" is only your opinion, not mine. ;)

6. maximus06 thread starter macrumors regular

Of course, but my point was that in windows you can select several files and immidiatly on the side, it will show the # of items selected and their combined size.

7. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Actually... on Windows, its a bit deceptive, as it never includes the size of any selected folders. On OS X, you can hit CMD+OPT+I, and the command is a toggle to make the summary info window appear and disappear. For when you need it, its not rocket science. It comes down to it being different operating systems doesn't it. Quick Look makes Windows explorer seems exceptionally "weak" to me. Toggling summary info using CMD+OPT+I seems pretty effortless, especially when I can copy lists of files extremely easily. Every time I get on a new Windows machine, I have to track down that shell modifier "COPY PATH" and I end up rolling the dice on whether I download the right one.

~ CB

8. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

Not sure I follow but in windows you can select multiple folders and get the properties for it and it will give you the total size... also about the path thing - why not just go to tools>folder options>View, and select Display Full path in the title bar.

9. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

In windows you have "Properties." Alt-Enter to get info on one or multiple files.

On OS X you have Get Info (Cmd-I), Get Summary Info (Ctrl-Cmd-I) and Show Inspector (Opt-Cmd-I). More confusing? Possibly. More flexible? Certainly.

Try this: In a directory full of files, bring up the Inspector (Opt-Cmd-I) and the focus is still on the Finder window. Arrowing or clicking different files instantly changes the inspector window as well as selecting multiple files at once. Hit Opt-Cmd-I again and it's gone. Now that is a fast way to analyze file sizes, single or multiple.

10. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Please go back and read the thread of the conversation (this isn't even a mult-page thread yet). It's not fair for me to need to re-explain why we weren't talking about pulling up a properties inspector when I made that comment. I'm surprised the poster used the status bar for file sizes too. I use the "properties" or "get info" window most of the time on both OSs.

Regarding the "path" thing... Let's say you've just editted a bunch of files that need to be made live, and you need to send a "files changed" list to another developer. On the Mac, you can just select the files you want, and either hit "COPY" and paste all their names into a text file, OR you can select and DRAG the files into a text window and you have a list of file paths. On Windows, you need something like THESE solutions installed... which I find a pain to sort through. I was just giving an example of a Windows thing that bothered me when you're trying to be productive.

~ CB

11. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

As far as the path thing, I get what you mean now...

Although I still dont have any idea why you have an issue with what I said. Its pretty basic. You said "...OS X, you can hit CMD+OPT+I, and the command is a toggle to make the summary info window appear and disappear" and all I said was in windows you can also get the total file size and folder size. It may not be in the side but it will be a seperate window, just like what you said for OSX. This does not apply? Separate window OSX, Total size. Separate windows Windows, total size. It may not be a 'toggle' but the effect is still the same. You get the total size in a separate window.

12. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

The premise to your suggestion was that I wasn't sure how to do something. The premise to my statement was in determining a way to do something that meets with the criteria maximus06 set out, namely... why does he need to pull up a properties inspector in OS X, whereas Windows simply shows the combined size in the view pane when selecting multiple files. So, where you see me explaining something that sounds odd, I'm trying to express that without a properties inspector, simply shift-clicking on files in Windows is limited anyway (unless you get properties). It's neither here nor there, as neither of us are addressing the original post at this point (we're in some weird place where you're addressing how I answered the original poster without understanding what I was answering, which just makes for an off-beat conversation as I would never say what I said in any other context). Meh. Suffice it to say, both operating systems have flaws.

@maximus06
    There is an excellent website called XvsXP, now called MacVsWindows.com.
    http://www.macvswindows.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Everything they list is in context, and well described. Here's a section on file management.
    It's all one big Wiki, so we should all be adding to it if we see anything missing.
    http://macvswindows.com/index.php?title=File_Management

~ CB

13. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

I see, I thought you were implying that somehow right clicking in windows and choosing properties would not display the same type of info as popping up another window in OSX which is why I suggested it.

Anyway it doesnt matter - missunderstanding and nothing more I guess. All OS's do have flaws and strengths except for OS/2 back in the day :) Damn IBM for not pushing that harder. LOL I miss my OS/2. Anyway thats off topic.