Uhm... Have they raised refurb prices?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Marcquito, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Marcquito macrumors member

Marcquito

2. Marcquito thread starter macrumors member

Marcquito

3. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

It appears like Apple has rearranged their refurbished/clearance section. Yes, I think that they did bump the prices up but I could be wrong. Notice how they deleted the original price compared to the updated price. I guess that's the only update we'll see for the holidays.

4. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

ya, the whole store changed over for the holidays ... and looks like you're not getting that great of a deal on older refurb technology anymore ....

5. Marcquito thread starter macrumors member

Marcquito

That's awful. I wanted a clearance previous gen which I remember was priced at 1499+ tax. :(

I might as well just buy the new one.

6. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

They take ~30% off the low-end models and 41% off the high end models. The model that the OP linked was the high-end at the time.

It's a pretty terrible deal considering a 2.5 Ghz w/250 GB HDD was the same price a couple wks ago :eek:

7. iwanttogarden macrumors member

They had a in my opinion a really sweet deal for a previous generation MBP for 1399$, it was 15" and had the video card 'NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory', 2GB of memory, 200GB hd (assuming 5400rpm), super drive, can't remember the cpu speed, I think it was around 2.4ghz. But it definitely made me consider returning my new MBP and getting it.

Happen just last night before the store updated, gone about 1-2hrs after the store came back online.

8. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

Macmall has a full line up of new and previous MBP models. The previous 2.4 is $1344 after $150 mail in rebate.

9. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

It doesn't say clearance anymore, but towards the middle of the page, you'll see a "Previous Gen" divider. Everything below that is clearance, and not refurb'd.

apple store link

10. chachster macrumors newbie

Yes, definately have raised the refurb prices. The 2.5ghz 2gb ram prev gen Macbook pro used to be 1499, now 1799.

11. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

actually it used to be 1499 as refurb and 1799 as clearance. only difference is my refurb came in a brown box. I'm glad I bought it on the day they released the new ones. I was sure they won't last because they are as fast as the new ones and have the matte screen. Now you have to shop around on Amazon/eBay?Macmall and the likes to get that deal.

12. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

That $1799 MBP is not a refurb. It's clearance. FYI, it doesn't mention the word "refurbished" anywhere on the item page.

13. mrpeepers macrumors regular

yeah, they jacked the prices WAY up over night... Screw that.

14. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Worse is the completely disorganized view they've chosen, mixing the products based on price instead model.

A perfect example of fixing something that wasn't broken!

Cheers

15. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

They haven't jacked the prices up, the just re-organized the refurb/clearance section into one with just a divider on the page to separate them. I can confirm I just ordered a refurb base MBP, previous gen for $1349. The issue is most of the refurb MBPs are not in stock. I spoke with an Apple rep earlier who told me they'd had tons of orders for the refurb MBP 15 inchers and they were simply out of stock for the time being.

I've been seeing them come in and out of stock the last couple of hours, but they don't last.

I did the same freak out when I realized maybe I'd waited a day too long, but fear not. Just keep watching.

16. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

17. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

I'm pretty sure that's an upgraded SR MBP - the Penryn ones came standard with 200GB hard drives. If not, good deal, but since I already ordered, I'll stick with what I have.

And if anyone is looking - a bunch of 15" MBPs are in stock right now, at the same prices as before. Hurry up if you want one. :)

18. kousuke18 macrumors regular

none of the prices of the refurb macbook pros have went up, you guys are just looking at the clearance models which have always been more expensive than refurbs. The refurb 2.5ghz macbook pro is still going for $1499. ;)

19. Atomic Ed macrumors regular

I think I am going to sell my SR 2.4 MBP which is perfect and in absolutely pristine condition without a single flaw from day 1. It has about 1.5 applecare left too, what do you guys think?

20. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

What are you selling it for? To upgrade to the new MBP?

21. Atomic Ed macrumors regular

I am selling it because I got a new loaded Dell XPS M1530 instead. T9300, 4GB, 320GB, 15.4" LED screen (perfect) and it literally flys with Visa x64 on it. I wanted to buy the new MBP before it came out and then I saw what they did to it.

Anyway I don't know if I would ever get the new Frankenbook model anytime in the future, but I might get another MBP once they change the design to something Pro again. I love OSX and the MBP but not sure I could live with the new design. Who knows what will happen in the future.

What do you think my SR MBP would go for on todays market? It is in absolutely perfect in every way condition, looks like no one had ever touched it, machine with 2.4, 4GB, 160GB and about 1.5 applecare left on it.

This machine was perfect from the day I got it and I have taken fanatical care of it and it never leaves my house or anything.