Uhm... so this is showing on my screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iLive, Oct 24, 2015.

1. iLive macrumors regular

I went to Starbucks to work on my paper. After some few minutes this occurred on the screen of my MacBook Pro (15-inch, Retina, Early 2013).

I haven't seen this issue before, but moving my laptop or lightly padding the screen on the back can sometimes make it show my desktop for a few seconds before it resumes to this screen. So I'm confident it's a hardware issue more than a software.

Two questions: 1) What do you think might have went wrong with the device; like is it a common issue? 2) Will I need an entirely new screen, or is it an "easy" fix?

I have 7 days left in the US before I return to Europe, so I'm not even sure I can benefit from having it repaired here.

Attached Files:

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Force each graphics card (integrated and dGPU) to isolate it if you can but I'd suspect a graphics card issue first, screen second.

3. iLive thread starter macrumors regular

Unfortunately, it won't allow me at all. Now, whenever I do seem to access the desktop I don't see the mouse moving.

When technology gives you the middle finger. :S

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Will it let you boot off:

Your Time Machine backup?
    A bootable clone (eg made with CCC)?
    A bootable USB drive made with DiskmakerX?

If any of these options are available to you then you can likely find a way of booting and using the gfxcardstatus app to force graphics. If you don't have any form of bootable backup then you can make the bootable USB drive if you have access to another Mac....?